Greeting / Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wes.pastor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I have been an aquarium enthusisit most of my life. I have had mostly small tanks not larger than 10 gallons. Over the last five years I graduated so to speak from 10 to 29 gallons. It was at that time that I began planting my tanks with live plants. My results were poor at best. the plants seem to onlt service for a few weeks at best. But I pressed on and endured loss after loss. I then obtaimed a 55 gallon tank. the advent of internet access in my home allowed me to do some research. Tons of research. More research than I ever did in school or college:cool:

I went with a semi natural substrate and no CO2. Compared to my previous results with the 29 gallon tank, I feel that I was far more successful. However, again, losses seemed to be inevitable that tank eventually failed in about 5 months as I recall. That was three years ago.

Today, I am planning a 75 gallon tank. These are the basics. Keep in mind that as of yet this tank does not exist it is only in preliminary planning stages and in all likelyhood change as I consider results from my fellow aquarists -- friends like you

• aquarium type: Glass
  • Gallons: 75
  • dimensions:
Height: 20” (Top to Bottom)
Width: 18” (Front to Back)

Length: 48” (Wide)
  • Lighting: 270 Watts Fluorescent
  • Co2 system: complete details: None
  • Substrate: Natural (Sand / Peat / Vermiculite / Red Clay ) mix with white sand covering all. To a varied depth of 2 – 8 inches
  • Water temp: 78 – 80 degrees
  • Driftwood: how many pieces? How large?) 1 Medium Piece
  • Planting preference: Light to Moderate with these plants in mind
Crypt moehlmanii
" parva
" willisii
" balansae
" albida
" cordata 'rosanervig'
" ponterderifolia
" wendtii x hybrid
Lagenandra meeboldii
Anubias barteri var. caladiifolia ''1705''
" barteri var. 'nana golden'
" barteri var. 'nana narrow leaf'
C. retrospiralis
Hemianthus callitrichoides

welcometoaa.gif

Welcome to the site I have never done a planted tank But there are lots of planted tank GURU's around that should be along to help you out.

Welcome to the site. I'm currently planning a 75 gallon tank as well. However, your plans for 270 watts of light seem a little excessive to me for the plants you want. Which fixture are you looking at?

"...your plans for 270 watts of light seem a little excessive to me for the plants you want..."

The 270 watts is high but the bulbs loose 20% of their light value in less than 90 days and i am planning for the farther end of the bulb life at which will be about half in about one year. Also not quite sure what I will use for a light hood yet as I said this tank and none of its equipment exists yet. Any sugussetions?

Welcome to AA. Working on my first 10g with an interest in putting in live plants, so read with interest your brief bio. I will be following along closely, thanks for sharing with us. Middle.

Welcome to AA. I might suggest browsing our planted tank forum. There is tons of info there. You might also want to take a look at the DIY forum if you are the handy type and interested in building some things of your own.

"Welcome to AA. Working on my first 10g with an interest in putting in live plants, so read with interest your brief bio. I will be following along closely, thanks for sharing with us. Middle."

The 75G, most likely, will not be built until later in the fall. However, I plan to journal my results with specific as much as possible in cluding pix. I am not sure how often to provide pix. At the begining the pix will feature every set of the set-up and installation. I imagine I will not have any alive (Plants fishes) in the tank for about two months after intial set-up. Also, before final set-up decision are made I will"pic-the-brain" of others who have developed a similar set-up. My next set is to research the requirements of the plants I have chosen based upon what they look like. I know there is a ton of data available for many if not all of the species I have selected.

Back
Top Bottom