Greetings from Holland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@maxima-yeah lol . . .but I dont think the fish themselves would be into that.

12 gallons isn't much room, I don't think terrapins would work either. I would say a small school of something, like 8-10 tetras and maybe some cories. You could start a thread "12 gal stocking ideas" and you might get better feedback.

@logansmomma-thanks for the ideas,I probably will go for a small school of fish but something quite easy.I dont want a heater,bubble maker or to be messing around with the water all the time.I ll research further about the types of fish that would be suitable,starting with the 2types you mentioned,cheers.

@dkpate-dont worry I already decided against that option.There are plenty people around with private sealed ponds so it should nt be a problem.

@logansmomma-thanks for the ideas,I probably will go for a small school of fish but something quite easy.I dont want a heater,bubble maker or to be messing around with the water all the time.I ll research further about the types of fish that would be suitable,starting with the 2types you mentioned,cheers.

Well, keeping the water clean is an important part of a successful tank. IMO water changes once a week are necessary. I actually enjoy maintaining my tanks. :) Heaters aren't that bad, you pretty much plug it in. You can get a small thermometer for a few bucks as well, and just check once in a while to make sure your heater isn't malfunctioning.

Tetras are pretty easy. There is also danios, guppies, mollies, etc. Tons of fish to choose from.

I used to use this site a lot to check out what kinds of fish there are : Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

you can also user this, AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor but it isn't completely accurate so you might want to check back here with ideas that you have. :)

Those are shunbunkin and get just as large as regular goldfish. Anyways, just donate them to a pond keeper they will be happy to receive them. My 7 year old shunbunkin died last year from disease he was 11" at the time. Anyways, with 55g you can easily set up a great planted tank that the dutch are so famous for.

Well, keeping the water clean is an important part of a successful tank. IMO water changes once a week are necessary. I actually enjoy maintaining my tanks. :) Heaters aren't that bad, you pretty much plug it in. You can get a small thermometer for a few bucks as well, and just check once in a while to make sure your heater isn't malfunctioning.

Tetras are pretty easy. There is also danios, guppies, mollies, etc. Tons of fish to choose from.

I used to use this site a lot to check out what kinds of fish there are : Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

you can also user this, AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor but it isn't completely accurate so you might want to check back here with ideas that you have. :)
Ive been having a look and think 2x White cloud mountain minnow or 6x leopard danio would be ok.Im going to get a thermometer first and check the unheated water temperature in my tank because I reckon its warm enough to not need heating much if at all.When I said I didnt want a heater I was thinking more of running costs than anything,but if the normal room temperature water in my tank is warm enough and remains pretty stable then the heater would only be needed occasionally. The temperature in my living room is always between 18-23centegrade.What do you think of my choice of fish?Do you know of any disadvantages with these types of fish?Btw thanks for the links,well handy!

Those are shunbunkin and get just as large as regular goldfish. Anyways, just donate them to a pond keeper they will be happy to receive them. My 7 year old shunbunkin died last year from disease he was 11" at the time. Anyways, with 55g you can easily set up a great planted tank that the dutch are so famous for.

My tank is only 55litre,about 12g.I have no idea about aquariums generally yet so I think a planted tank would be too advanced a project for me.

@logansmomma-On one of the sites it said that the danios must be in a group of 6-8 but for the white cloud mountain minnow it said a pair is ok?

My tank is only 55litre,about 12g.I have no idea about aquariums generally yet so I think a planted tank would be too advanced a project for me.

Oh sorry thought you said 55g. Haha. Well 12g is still fine for a nano tank.

Oh sorry thought you said 55g. Haha. Well 12g is still fine for a nano tank.
I just looked at nano tanks,very beautiful but still way too difficult and also expensive for me.Im only wanting this to be a simple,low cost hobby for now,then see how it goes.I am still going through nooberty lol!

They will have more personality in schools. The more of them there are, the more comfortable they will be and they will be a lot more active. I was just thinking about it though, and I am not sure what tank size they would need because they need lots of room to swim. I think you will be alright though.

Ive made a pond from a large workmans tub and my goldfish now live in that out in the garden.My 12g tank is now empty awaiting re-stock.Id like to thank everyone for the advice and ideas.Our local pet stores dont really have much choice at the moment so gonna look out of town.

Cool you should share some pics of your pond :D what are some of the kinds that your lfs has, if you can remember?

I cant remember but i dont want to rush into anything.Ive been looking online at various options like terrapins,jelly fish and sea horses.Terrapins and jelly fish Ive decided against but sea horses might be good and not too difficult.I might also choose a school of fish but havent made my mind up yet.My pond isnt really much to see lol,just a round tub 20g,with some stones and plants in.Ive mounted it up off the ground by 15"so I can syphon water out.They ve been in there a week now and seem happy enough.

Back
Top Bottom