Greetings from Pensacola, FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beeritself

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello AA!
I just stumbled across this forum tonight and wanted to introduce myself. I am back at it after a 15-20 year hiatus. While growing up we had 1-5 aquariums going at all times and kept every fish type from goldfish to tropical to African cichlids. We never delved into saltwater though. Now at 31 I have successfully turned my wife and kids into enthusiasts. Currently I have a 20 gallon tall that I have lightly planted and have tropical fish in. That was all it took to get them hooked. I have now started a 55 gallon planted South American cichlid tank. I never planted aquariums growing up, and now that I have started I love it. I am here to seek guidance and share a mutual enjoyment in the hobby/lifestyle. I'm looking forward to learning for the pros and passing it along to my kids.
Also, I have an unexplainable love for clown loaches and aim to raise some monsters. Any other loach enthusiasts?
Cheers!
Jeff

Did someone say loach enthusiast?! That would be me! I hope you've got a big tank. One of the most impressive sights you can see in this hobby is a massive tank with a big school of jumbo clown loaches. If you want any advice on them or any other kind of loach, I'm a pretty good person to ask. I also recommend the site Loaches Online and the book "Loaches: Natural History and Aquarium Care".

Welcome to AA! It's great to have someone else here who would go so far as to call themself a "loach enthusiast".

Thanks for the advice. I will check out that site and order the book now. I was pretty disappointed when I woke up this morning to find a dead clown loach. I honestly have no idea what killed it. I believe it was likely stressed, as the other fish are doing fine. I had him housed with another clown loach (same size, maybe 1.5"), a green terror, a golden red spotted severum, a blue acara, and electric blue Jack Dempsey, and a gold gourami (my oldest son had to have him - he has since been re-houses into my 20 gallon).

Did someone say loach enthusiast?! That would be me! I hope you've got a big tank. One of the most impressive sights you can see in this hobby is a massive tank with a big school of jumbo clown loaches. If you want any advice on them or any other kind of loach, I'm a pretty good person to ask. I also recommend the site Loaches Online and the book "Loaches: Natural History and Aquarium Care".

Welcome to AA! It's great to have someone else here who would go so far as to call themself a "loach enthusiast".

Oh boy here we go ;) loach enthusiasts unite!

On topic: clown loaches like schools of 5+ at full adult size you are looking at around a 125 gallon tank IMO. Luckily though, clown loaches grow very slowly.

Check out dojo loaches! They are the most active and fun loaches I've ever owned. Mine eats from my hand every day and always zooming around their 75g home. Despite them being cold water I have kept mine in a 75g community at 75 degrees with great success. I have 1 that is full adult size and another that's just baby size.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I second the dojo loach suggestion! Although 75 is just a hair warm for them! They like groups as well (the majority of loaches do).

The awesome thing about dojo loaches (also known as weather loaches): As bottom dwelling fish, they don't need their swim bladder to maintain buoyancy. Over time, they have instead evolved so that their swim bladder detects changes in barometric pressure. They tend to go nuts when a storm is coming. Might be handy to have around in Florida ;)

Yall may have just solved the mystery. The gentleman at the LFS lead me to believe all of my fish would thrive around 80 degrees. Would it be best to drop the temp? Would it affect my cichlids?

I second the dojo loach suggestion! Although 75 is just a hair warm for them! They like groups as well (the majority of loaches do).

The awesome thing about dojo loaches (also known as weather loaches): As bottom dwelling fish, they don't need their swim bladder to maintain buoyancy. Over time, they have instead evolved so that their swim bladder detects changes in barometric pressure. They tend to go nuts when a storm is coming. Might be handy to have around in Florida ;)

I've read they can tolerate up to 78 degrees actually. I tried introducing mine to a cold water tank and he was very unhappy and buried himself constantly (they are diggers anyway so no small plants like star Repens unless they are fully Established!). He seems to like tropical better.

Many people also like Kuhli loaches. I've never had them personally though.

Angelicus are another Botia species that doesn't get as large as clowns.

My dojos:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430190702.682902.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430190822.024108.jpg

Angelicus Botia
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430190788.538422.jpg

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yall may have just solved the mystery. The gentleman at the LFS lead me to believe all of my fish would thrive around 80 degrees. Would it be best to drop the temp? Would it affect my cichlids?

What species do you have? I know SA cichlids like some higher temps. My JD likes 80 degrees.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

In that tank I have SA Cichilds
-Blue Acara
-Electric Blue Jack Dempsey
-Golden Red Spot Severum
-Green Terror
-Clown Loach

I've read they can tolerate up to 78 degrees actually. I tried introducing mine to a cold water tank and he was very unhappy and buried himself constantly (they are diggers anyway so no small plants like star Repens unless they are fully Established!). He seems to like tropical better.

Many people also like Kuhli loaches. I've never had them personally though.

Angelicus are another Botia species that doesn't get as large as clowns.

My dojos:
View attachment 271148
View attachment 271150

Angelicus Botia
View attachment 271149

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I've always kept mine in cooler water. I have had the opposite experience, where my weather loach April would be noticeably displeased when the water got too warm during the summer months. That said, whatever works! They're ridiculously hardy fish

Kuhli loaches are fantastic little fish! As are Angelicus loaches! Dangit, I love all of them lol.

In my experience, clowns prefer slightly warm temps- 80 degrees seems about right to me.

Welcome to the forum. I recommend also joining the local fishkeeping group that we have in the panhandle if you haven't already, just do a facebook search for Gulf Coast Aquarium Club.

I was googling looking for one today. Glad you found me. I'll go there now.

I might seem out of place, considering this is an intro thread and I just came to state my opinion, but loaches look freaking awesome!

New fish.

I might seem out of place, considering this is an intro thread and I just came to state my opinion, but loaches look freaking awesome! New fish.

I think that was the perfect place for your post. I just contacted a local breeder and will be picking up some more this weekend. I'm psyched!!

Back
Top Bottom