Greetings from Southern California!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysono

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all.

My name is Jayson, and I am in my early 30's living in Orange County, CA. I'm a CA native and a newlywed.

I live in a condo comples which is not conducive to owning a dog, and both my wife and I are alergic to cats. We couldn't really agree on a pet, as I wanted to get a Chinchilla, or Guinnea Pigs....but she put the Kibosh on that.

A co-worker of mine was describing his new 55 gal salt-water, and I was enthralled. But being a beginner, I thought that salt water may be a bit too advanced for me, especially if we move to a home in the next year or so.

So after weeks of online research and reading, I went out and bought a 16 gal glass bow-tank. It has a real cool optical illusion effect that if you stand in front of it at eye level, fish appear to be floating in mid air....very 3D!!!

Anyway, we have decorated it with ancient Roman decor and matching background. To start the tank cycle I purchased 4 Leopard Danio's, and while it was touch and go the first week, their overall activity and strength appears to have improved quite a bit. Still waiting for Ph levels and amonia to settle, but am looking forward to adding a Ghost Shrimp, Lava Eye Tetras, and a Dwarg Neon Blue Gourami soon.

The biggest challenges for me right now are: A) fighting evaporation - high temperatures force me to add a gal of RO water every 3 days & B) Getting the initial cycle started...seems taht while my fish appear very healthy my Ph (7.7) and Amonia/Nitrate (0.25/0.25ppm) have barely budged.

Looking forward to starting a hobby with new friends abroad like all of you, and graduate to a larger tank. (Kinda sorry I didn't get the 29 gal bow now).

Please drop me a line. I'd love to chat with you.

Jayson,
Congrats on being a newlywed!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice and the fishkeeping hobby.
Hope you enjoy years of relaxing fun.

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

Oh yeah, don't know if you realized...but you were our 5000th member to join!! I am giving you 1000 kudos!! Give some to all who help you here at aquariumadvice.com!!!

Wow and to think, I posted for my kudos :wink: (FYI--kudos are for fun, you get them when you post and members can give them to each other for helping out)

[center:78917096bb] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, jayson!! :n00b: [/center:78917096bb]

Kinda sorry I didn't get the 29 gal bow now
I can already see that bow front is in your future. My fiance and I moved with two tanks of fish 4 months ago--everyone made it (the move took two days in the dead of winter). So, buying and setting up a tank when you know you have to move is no big deal (well, if you're crazy like we are). We bought and set up our 80 gal 4 months before we knew we were moving :devilish:

Back
Top Bottom