Had no problems for months then the ich set in..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talisrose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody! We have had our 75 gallon for about 3 months, had a 10 gallon before that and it gave us soo many problems. But we were doing great, got natural rock and driftwood from the river here (disinfected it) and we got all set up.

We have two 55 gallon rated filters that have regular filter pads and two media filter containers. We have zero carb and clear max (red resin stuff?) we have a micron filter also. We have led lights 48 inch with one strip of regular lights and one strip of moon lights ( which we only use in the morning for about 45 min before we turn on our regular lights. We also have a 48 inch bubble wand. About 2-3 mm gravel. Four pieces of driftwood.. And some rocks. About 10 fake plants. 3 or 4 groups of some busy type plants (no problems with them so far, no roots yet) a melon sword (roots and is doing great but someone is eating a couple holes in it but that's ok) and some small groups of anacharis I think is what it's called which was AWFUL, they lost all their leaves and were dying because we had those terrible anchors on them!! Ended up removing them and now they are starting to grow roots, even though one f them grew a root out of the top? And they are getting their leaves!

6 or 7 clown loach
9 neon tetras
5 albino Cory's
4 cherry barb
4 zebra danios
7 guppies (2 grown up 3 medium and 2 tiny babies) which we need to get rid of or separate male and female
1 albino bristle nose pleco
1 regular bristle nose pleco
1 royal pleco
1 clown pleco
And 3 upside down cat fish

Currently we are having a terrible ich problem! I made a thread about it and posted all the test results. Hopefully someone can maybe suggest something and hopefully everyone pulls through!

Oh and we currently have 7 albino blue eye plecos on the way to us....... Thinking about setting up a new tank and hoping I can cure our ich problem before we put them in.

Oh and we have three glass cats I forgot to add!

Attachments

• image-1397108962.jpg
    image-1397108962.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2464702472.jpg
    image-2464702472.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 54
  • image-3007751935.jpg
    image-3007751935.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 64
  • image-4245376425.jpg
    image-4245376425.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2461962236.jpg
    image-2461962236.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image-2430722110.jpg
    image-2430722110.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2774723062.jpg
    image-2774723062.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 61
Thanks! It usually is clear but we have a bad case of ich so no filter pads or media !!

Thanks! It usually is clear but we have a bad case of ich so no filter pads or media !!

Just raise the heat up to, salt doesn't have to be used if you don't want but it will help. They both stress out icky and will kill it off. Just be sure to keep water quality good, clean plants/sand.

Yeah our nitrate levels are around 40-80 ppm we just did a 50% water change last night and our ammonia was at .25 but it went back to zero didn't check nitrates though. I think I'm gonna retest and do daily 25% water chnage and maybe 50% every week? You think water temp of like 88 is good to aim for?

Yeah our nitrate levels are around 40-80 ppm we just did a 50% water change last night and our ammonia was at .25 but it went back to zero didn't check nitrates though. I think I'm gonna retest and do daily 25% water chnage and maybe 50% every week? You think water temp of like 88 is good to aim for?

Yes that sounds about right 86-88 degrees, also the tank needs to cycle which sounds like you already know that one.

Good luck

Will there be any problem cycling while doing treatment? We are using nox-ich at half dose after 50% water chnage and 25% dose every other day. I love my loach but I really don't want to compromise everyone else's health just for them. What do you guys think about a quarantine tank? I think it may stress out loach even more which I know are sensitive to stress.. Plus I wouldn't even have time to cycle it either! It's just so hard deciding what todo! Definitely will try higher temps! Thanks sooo much!

Will there be any problem cycling while doing treatment? We are using nox-ich at half dose after 50% water chnage and 25% dose every other day. I love my loach but I really don't want to compromise everyone else's health just for them. What do you guys think about a quarantine tank? I think it may stress out loach even more which I know are sensitive to stress.. Plus I wouldn't even have time to cycle it either! It's just so hard deciding what todo! Definitely will try higher temps! Thanks sooo much!

That med. will stain everything in your tank to a blue color. Clean water conditions and high temps is all you need IMO while doing good cleaning which shouldn't be a problem with the cycling. Doing two 25% water changes a week should be plenty and testing everyday maybe two times a day with a few little changes in between during cycling. That should keep everything under control.

With ick it's in your tank now so it all needs to be treated so a hospital tank isn't going to do you a lot of good. I don't have a spare tank anymore I just use totes, buckets or whatever I have laying around.

Do you think I should try getting some type of filter back in then? There's nothing really in the tank except the silicon around the edge that could get stained - not sure if it is silicon... I'm just afraid to quit medicine in case it is working :( im gonna try turning up to 88 and see how that goes! I know meds can't be good for them and honestly may be making them worse.. ****ed if ya do ****ed if ya don't type of feeling going on. Have you cured ich with just heat before? Oh also 2 loach have lost their whiskers !! But I know that probably could be from the nitrate levels

Do you think I should try getting some type of filter back in then? There's nothing really in the tank except the silicon around the edge that could get stained - not sure if it is silicon... I'm just afraid to quit medicine in case it is working :( im gonna try turning up to 88 and see how that goes! I know meds can't be good for them and honestly may be making them worse.. ****ed if ya do ****ed if ya don't type of feeling going on. Have you cured ich with just heat before? Oh also 2 loach have lost their whiskers !! But I know that probably could be from the nitrate levels

I know what your saying and no I haven't and in the many years I've been keeping fish I've never had (fingers crosed) ick. But many people here recommends it and I've helped many people with it and it's worked for them. The stuff in the filter you need to put back in for the bacteria to grow on. I don't believe that med kills bacteria but I could be wrong. If you run carbon then that you need to leave out because it will remove any and all meds.

Did 25% water change put my filters and media back in and turned my temps up.. Wish me luck! Thanks for all your help!

My nitrate and ph levels were up still I think around 20 -40 ppm and ph of 8.4 left my lights off all day.. And ammonia was hard to tell but it looked as if it went down. That was before water change and now I'm waiting a bit to test again

Back
Top Bottom