Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's cool i can handle 30 or 40 gal better than 125. My wallet thinks so too.

Lol, but ya. Then you can add some more fish too! (I'd suggest bringing your Cory school up to six) but if you don't know already, you really need to cycle the new tank. And the bigger the better, so maybe a 40? (they would be fine in the 30 though, don't get me wrong)

Ok, then search up the fishless cycling for dummies thread on the site. It'll explain it for you. (it sure did for me!)

Well the reason I say that is they have a big bio-load (much waste) and I think it kind of seems like a shame to take up that much of your bio-load capacity with a pleco...maybe it's just my personal preference. I just would never want to keep any pleco in a tank of that size. In my 29 gal my biggest fish is a slender 3.5" so a fatty 4" big waste producer in a 20 just doesn't sound right...Homedog what do you think?

K thanks i'll do some reading and you said fishless cycling?

OH 30-40 for it you guys decided while I was typing lol. Or you could just maybe take both the plecos back and get a more appropriate algea eater for a 20 gal :)

siva said:
Well the reason I say that is they have a big bio-load (much waste) and I think it kind of seems like a shame to take up that much of your bio-load capacity with a pleco...maybe it's just my personal preference. I just would never want to keep any pleco in a tank of that size. In my 29 gal my biggest fish is a slender 3.5" so a fatty 4" big waste producer in a 20 just doesn't sound right...Homedog what do you think?

The dwarf plecos like the clown, bristlenose, and rubberlip have a much smaller bioload then the commons. I'd still suggest a bigger tank though, so the pleco will have more swimming/sucking room, and the angels will to boot!

Really a 4" dwarf pleco has a smaller bioload then a 4" common pleco?

Antipixx said:
K thanks i'll do some reading and you said fishless cycling?

Yes, much less cruel and humane, and easier then fish in cycling. (which without realizing it you've already done!)

siva said:
Really a 4" dwarf pleco has a smaller bioload then a 4" common pleco?

Well you have to keep in mind that the 4 inch common is still growing, and is eating a lot more. Also, the two may be related, but are not exact replicas.

Right but what I'm saying is in porportion to their size they produce a lot of waste. Ya know what I mean..other 4" fish can have a decent bio-load but the plecos even more.

Yes, that is true, but the bioload on the dwarfs is just considerably smaller, especially since they help clean up their waste in a way. I'm not entirely sure why, it just is.

Cool I did not know that. So for a 20 gal there are some great algea eaters that would work well..you could try a hillstream loach. Or there's always apple or nerite snails. Once the tank has been up an running for a while, six months or so, you could add a few oto cats. Just ideas in case you want to switch :)

Ya, just make sure you stock your tank overall, and in sections. For instance, in a 40 gallon, one clown pleco, and 6 cories would stock the bottom dwellers, the two angels would partially stock the middle, and there'd be no fish for the top part. So depending on what fish you want to put in there, you've still got a lot more space for smaller fish, and maybe another showpiece fish.

Well the common pleco is not a prob. Anymore. I made a few calls turns out my uncle's pleco just died a couple o days ago and he happily took it off my tanks load. Btw he's running a 75gal with 2 danios and 2 gourami and now a 6 in pleco

Back
Top Bottom