Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello AA

My handle is Ohponies, and I have a salt water aquarium! My aquarium is 55 gallons, with 55 pounds of live rock, Ocean SeaClone Protein Skimmer, 2 300gph Filers one with just inserts and 1 with inserts and bio wheels. For animals i have two Amphiprion ocellaris clownfish, 1 Coral banded shrimp, 1 chocolate sea star, 3 turban snails, 1 margarita snail, and 5 red tip hermits.

Free with my live rock ( i got that branch looking piece out of my LFS sump, muhaha, and it came with tons of life) brittle/fancy/tiger striped sea stars (tiny arms come out for food during feeding), some stuff that look like feather dusters some white and some red, tons of little dark green, blackish looking feather dusters/anemone, and i have seen at least maybe 2 very very small astenia star fish.

My tank!

My clowns!

Some algae dunno what type.

And rusty!

The Chocolate ship sea star was my wife's idea. I did not know anything about him when i bought the star. I went to the pet shop intending to buy a brittle sea star, knowing it was a safe pet, but she really liked Chip. I like the idea of Chip, because it really gets my wife interested in my hobby, but he really limits my additions to the tank. I would really like to get some anemone for the clown fish, like bubble tip, but according to everything i have read, Chip will eat any invertebrate slower than him, ie. feather dusters and anemone. Anyone have any experience with the two in a tank? I have tried to break it to my wife that we should return chip, especially after i have found that often Chocolate Chip sea stars can be the victims of hermit crabs, and I really enjoy hermits in my tank.

My future plans for the tank mates are anemone and some different types of hermits other than red tip, and different snails other than turban.

Further, much farther down the road i would love some coral but i need to get the hang of this FOWLR first me thinks, and figure out what to do with chip.

This is week 6, 4 weeks no animals, 2 now with. I am thinking of switching to a 50/50 florescent light, i like the blueish tint, and think my tank could use more uvs, i have little to no algae growth to speak of.

Ohponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome Aboard

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing" A. Einstein
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
"We can do anything we want to if we stick to it long enough." Helen Keller
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AA
Sometimes life is best left to it's own devices.
If your not happy at what you're looking at, you're looking at it the wrong way.
My 320g tank build in progress watch at ---> http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f71/320g-build-journey-experiment-128784.html
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA!

Start a thread about your tank in the SW area and you will get a lot of response, help ect.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
welcome to the site
glad to have you here
If you put off what you can do today until tomorrow it will never get done cause tomorrow never comes. It's always today.
FishEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome aboard.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
Welcome to AA!
Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AA!
Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AA.

mgamer20o0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com