Hello all, I'm new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gomer4378

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just saying hi,
I live in OK and have had a 120gl freshwater tank for 8 yrs now and 2 weeks ago I gave away all my fish and most of the equip and started a saltwater adventure. first thing I have to say is EXPENSIVE!! but well worth it.
I have a 120 gl tank, 20gl sump/refug, and about 200 lbs of live rock, 200 lbs live sand, 2 T5 39W 10,000k lights with actinics.
I gave it a 20% water change today and tested,
PH 8.2
Ammonia 8.0
Nitrite between 2 and 5 ( couldnt tell the diff in color)
Nitrate 20

How long will it take to level out now that it has a good start?
I know its hard to tell but I'll take guesses:)

I've been reading on here alot lately and can't wait to start getting help from everyone and someday pass it along a help someone else,
Thank You,
Kevin

Welcome to AA!

HOw long the cycle take will depend on really how well cured the LR was that you got. Impossible to tell at this point.

Hey Welcome...

Mine took almost 1 month to cycle/cure in my tank when I started.. A good indicator is when that funky smell goes away... I say Funky, like it's terrible or something... Meanwhile, everytime I visit the LFS I smell the LR tank.. I'm weird :)

My ammonia has droped to 0,
Nitrites 5.0
Nitrates 20

My question is do I need to add more ammonia or just let it be?

You have to keep adding ammonia to keep the cycle going. Posting your questions in the FW getting started forum will get you more answers on a quicker basis.

You have to keep adding ammonia to keep the cycle going. Posting your questions in the FW getting started forum will get you more answers on a quicker basis.
Its a Saltwater Tank.

Ooops my apologies, post in the SW getting started forums then. Apparantly 2 hours of sleep is not enough to consider ones self awake.

Back
Top Bottom