hello everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi everyone, im alex and i'm all new to saltwater and all this forum business.
Ive had to join because i really need some advice from people with experience as things are going wrong and i dont know what to do.

ive already posted this somewhere else but im not sure how these sites work so im not sure where it is!!

i own a 60litre biorb life. the tank has been set up around two months now and contains live rock, 4 hermit crabs and 2 clown fish.

to start off the levels in my tank aren't excellent, they currently stand at
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
Ammonia 0.50ppm
PH 8ppm

i did a water change a few days ago which made no difference what so ever so am planning to do another tomorrow with RO water instead of tap water. if that doesnt work i dont know what else to do.

Another concern is my clown fish, when i got them 3 weeks ago they were small but have recently grown a lot. one seams to be missing parts of the top fin and it looks like they may have been nibbled. it also hovers near the heater a lot at night time. the other is acting fairly normal but that also sometimes goes and hovers near the heater, i have seen it nipping the other clown with its fin missing but they are both eating normally and seam to be swimming fine, the unusual behavior only started a few days ago after i did the water change.

any advice people could give me would be great as my local fish store where i got them from seam to be useless.

thanks, alex

First of all
welcometoaa.gif

Having said that I must tell you that your water paramters are not execellant as you already know. Any ammonia or nitrite means there should be no fish in the tank.

So, how did you cycle the tank originally?
When doing a PWC match the new sw to the tank as closely as possible for pH, temp and SG.

Are you able to do a daily 4 litre pwc with RO and age that overnight before doing the water change?
That should get your water parameters backin check pretty quick for now.

Back
Top Bottom