Hello from Bellingham, WA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malloc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I've been browsing around the site for a few days now, thought it was about time to register. My gf and I have a 20 gallon FW tank that has been running for about 6 months now. We both had tanks as children, but don't remember anything about them, so we're pretty much new to the hobby (and quite addicted). We've had a bit of a rough start due to the mistake of taking advice from petco employees, but have learned our lesson & now stick to the local fish store & online research (wish I'd known about this site a few months ago). Anyways, happy to be joining the community, and I hope you're prepared for my many many questions =)

WELCOME TO AA!!!

We are glad you are here.

Thank you! =)

first question... Is there some trick to photographing fish? Everyone is posting great pics of their fish... mine will never hold still & I can't get anything other than a very colorful blur. I have a few nice ones of my snail & african dwarf frog though =P

I have a sports setting on mine that is for moving targets. That is what I use to keep from blurring.

I have a sports setting as well, but they always come out *very* dark when I use this setting =(

Mine is dark too if I get away from the tank. I get up close to the tank and take the pics. Check my gallery to see the results.

Welcome to AA! I've been experiementing for 2 years and still don't have a fool proof method of taking fish pics. LOL.

Welcome!
Do you have a macro setting on your camera? In most cameras, it looks like a little flower. Put your camera on that setting and get as close to the tank as you can. With my camera, I can almost touch the glass with the lens and I get pretty good pictures a lot of the time.

Yes I have tried the macro setting. It works great for the snail & frog, but like I said, the fish always come out quite blurry with it. The biggest problem with the macro is that my camera takes too long to focus & by the time it's done, the fish are long gone. Maybe my gf's camera will work better =)

Welcome to AA! This is a great place. :)

The only thing that helped me take great pics of my fish was investing in a digital SLR. Speed is really the culprit in catching fish movement. I know it can be done with a non-SLR, but it takes all kinds of tinkering with the settings.

If only I could afford a DSLR...
Unfortunately I am a poor college student. Well, I guess I can't say I'm poor since I have enough money to take care of a few fish...but...too poor for a nice camera =P

Back
Top Bottom