Hello from COMPLETE Newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperWade2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all... I stumbled upon this forum when doing some searchs for an aquarium...I know ZERO and I mean Nada, Nothing, Zip about aquariums, fish, or anything that is related... I've never even had a goldfish...with that said, I plan on spending a good deal of time reading up on here and anywhere else to learn about what I need to do to setup a basic saltwater aquarium.

My main reason for getting an aquarium is that my 10 month old twin girls get excited and seem to love watching fish at any aquarium they have seen and I hope to setup something they can enjoy, even if from afar. I'm leaning towards Saltwater because of (my possibly misguided perception) of the more colorful saltwater fish vs. freshwater.

I luckily have a nanny that is very aquatic taste (fish, turtles and lizards of some type), so she can help with many of the details, but I want to learn things for myself.

Through my great nanny we were able to acquire a used 46Gal (I think) Bowfront tank and stand. It needs some TLC (Tank Cleaning and Stand Touchup), but it's at least a start.

Would appreciate any advice that anyone wants to toss my way...

My first question is going to have to be what's the preferred cleaning method for cleaning the inside of my new tank (which has some goobers on the inside)... I'm sure If I "SEARCH" that I'll also find some good advice.

Thanks, and look forward to learning more on here..

SuperWade2

Welcome to AA. :band: Use vinegar and water first to try and clean the tank. SW does offer more colorful fish but there is much more to SW than FW. Be sure to read up on the site and make sure SW is what you want to do.

Welcome to AA! My advise is to read up on a fishless cycle before getting any fish. That method works for SW or FW fish. You can also use ammonia as a source for starting the cycle. SW is more expensive than FW, and more colorful. But it does take a ton more work. Good luck with whichever you choose and look forward to your posts in the future.

Thanks everyone... I'm going to try to get my tank cleaned this weekend (going to try Vinegar as suggested on many posts here on AA Forum), and hope to begin the setup next week... I picked up a couple "beginner" type books and hope to get started reading up...

There is so much to learn, it's slightly overwhelming...

SW2

Back
Top Bottom