Hello from New Brunswick, NJ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ants86

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there,

Glad to join what seems to be a vibrant community here. I live in New Brunswick, NJ, but work at a large law firm in New York (meaning I don't have a lot of spare time, and recently whatever spare time I have has been spent researching and setting up my new tank). I am a beginner to the hobby, as this is my first experience with keeping fish of any sort.

I recently set up a 60-gallon cube glass saltwater tank, with a 10-gallon under-tank sump that contains a filter sock, an Eshopps PSK-100 protein skimmer, a filter sponge, and a Rio 2100 return pump. I stupidly started the system with conditioned tap water, but have since bought a RO/DI unit from BRS and will slowly but surely be changing the water out completely to RO/DI water.

I set up the tank on 4/28/13, using cured live rock from a LFS, and tested ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels on a daily basis. After seeing 0 levels for about a week, I took a sample to the LFS to confirm the conditions and walked out with 10 astrea snails, 10 very tiny (less than 1/2'') blue-legged hermits and 2 oscellaris clowns. Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels have not spiked since I put the live rock in.

I'm hoping to one day introduce an anemone (prob after about 9 months) and some corals to the tank, but for now am just enjoying watching my clowns being clowns.

Look forward to engaging with everyone here.

Back
Top Bottom