Hello :) I have tank lighting questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heisenberg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I've been reading posts here for help with my tanks for a while now and just decided to make an account so I can ask questions :) I have a 30g with 6 tiger barbs, 2 platys, and a few neons which has been established now for about 9 months and doing well. I also have a 20g with 4 ruby barbs, 3 golden danios, and 1 small golden algae eater which has been established now for about 7 weeks and doing well. I am a beginner so please excuse this question if it seems simple, but I read that turning the tank light off at night is beneficial. I have been doing this with the 20g tank but I am afraid to start doing it with the 30g because I don't want to disturb what the fish have been used to for 9 months. Will it disrupt the fish at all or stress them enough to harm them if I begin turning off the light at night?

Thanks in advance :)

What i would do is like every other day for a week turn off the light at night and then the next week turn it off at night every night so they can get use to it because fish need to sleep too xD

Why did you decide initially to leave the lights on 24/7? Seems a bit odd!
Anyway, I set my lights on timer and have them come on when there is either natural or lighting in room. I do the reverse at night, turn off lights at least an hour before the room lights. I feel that this shocks the fish less than a sudden change from pitch black to full lighting and visa-versa.
When you are first acclimatising your fish to the change you might leave a small side light on near the tank over night. This might also stop them being shocked.

Best to put it on a timer so it goes off/on at the same time every day. Fish need the routine and it's best to keep it close to nature as possible.

Most tanks I had seen before I started mine last year were on all night. Thank you all for the help! Transition is going well :)

I have LED lighting on minr it has a lunar mode. My fish seem to love it and are doing great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Glad you mentioned that JakJak :) I'm going to the Lfs today for more plants and I want to look into a new top with new lighting and some sort of lunar setting. A friend of mine has a black or blue sort of light on for a few hours in the evening before cutting all the lights off and the fish seem to like it and he said it was beneficial for the plants as well. It also make the living room look awesome :) lol. Did you buy yours separately? If so, how much did it set you back?

Yes i got seperatly. They range in price i have 2 24 inch submersible hideaways they ran me 58 dollars a piece i believe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom