Hello, I'm a new fish mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissac584

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum and am happy to be a part of it. I've read so many books about creating and maintaining aquariums but I find that advice from those who are experienced and personally vested in their hobby have much better advice.

I have a glass 10 gallon tank (you can see my profile for equipment details and fish). I have been given conflicting information about how to maintain my tank. Please help me clear up some of the conflicting information and by all means, advice and constructive criticism is certainly appreciated!

One of my platys doesn't seem to be himself. I believie he may be dying. I have no idea why - water is well within normal limits, no discolartion and no fin damage. He's still swimming but its a labored swim and he spends most of his time laying on the rocks or hidden. I was advised to add aquarium salt to my fresh water tank as it may help and because platys and mollies prefer salt. Where do you stand on this? It's a fresh water aquarium so I can't seem to understand why I should add salt. I did add 2 tablespoons (as per the package instructions yesterday as I felt bad for the platy). I've also been told to add salt after each water change. Advice? I was also advised to clean tank every other day (10%) and to change filter weekly. This also doesn't make sense to me because isn't changing my filter killing the good bacteria which I need? I'm have a million more questions but I will read all of the posts and articles here before reaching out :)

P.S. I'm trying to upload a pic of my aquarium but am having great trouble doing so. Advice? Thanks again, Melissa

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum and am happy to be a part of it. I've read so many books about creating and maintaining aquariums but I find that advice from those who are experienced and personally vested in their hobby have much better advice.

I have a glass 10 gallon tank (you can see my profile for equipment details and fish). I have been given conflicting information about how to maintain my tank. Please help me clear up some of the conflicting information and by all means, advice and constructive criticism is certainly appreciated!

One of my platys doesn't seem to be himself. I believie he may be dying. I have no idea why - water is well within normal limits, no discolartion and no fin damage. He's still swimming but its a labored swim and he spends most of his time laying on the rocks or hidden. I was advised to add aquarium salt to my fresh water tank as it may help and because platys and mollies prefer salt. Where do you stand on this? It's a fresh water aquarium so I can't seem to understand why I should add salt. I did add 2 tablespoons (as per the package instructions yesterday as I felt bad for the platy). I've also been told to add salt after each water change. Advice? I was also advised to clean tank every other day (10%) and to change filter weekly. This also doesn't make sense to me because isn't changing my filter killing the good bacteria which I need? I'm have a million more questions but I will read all of the posts and articles here before reaching out :)

Welcome Melissa!
First things first, is your tank cycled? How long has it been set up? What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? Unless your fish have a disease that can be helped/cured with salt it is not needed. You are right about not changing the filter. It contains all the bacteria you are trying to establish.
Here is the beginners guide if you haven't seen it already.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html

Welcome Melissa!
First things first, is your tank cycled? How long has it been set up? What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? Unless your fish have a disease that can be helped/cured with salt it is not needed. You are right about not changing the filter. It contains all the bacteria you are trying to establish.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
Hello and many thanks for your reply. I had my tank up and running for 2 weeks prior to adding fish. I had petco test my water and I tested it as well before adding my fist fish - dannios. I waited 2 weeks before adding another fish or two. I don't have exact numbers but I do have the 6 in 1 strips which show that everything in normal limits. I had petco check it as well just to make sure I didn't miss anything. So, you don't believe in adding salt? Ok, thanks. What are your thoughts on cleanings?
Thanks again, Melissa

Hello and many thanks for your reply. I had my tank up and running for 2 weeks prior to adding fish. I had petco test my water and I tested it as well before adding my fist fish - dannios. I waited 2 weeks before adding another fish or two. I don't have exact numbers but I do have the 6 in 1 strips which show that everything in normal limits. I had petco check it as well just to make sure I didn't miss anything. So, you don't believe in adding salt? Ok, thanks. What are your thoughts on cleanings?
Thanks again, Melissa

Ok,
Letting a tank sit for two weeks prior to adding fish will not cycle it. The nitrogen cycle requires ammonia to start, continue and be maintained. When you added the fish (the ammonia source) the cycle began. I would not trust the test strips. They are known for giving false readings. I would suggest a large water change or two right now. I'm guessing the ammonia and/or nitrite is too high in the tank. You can add a small amount of salt to help with nitrite toxicity. Only 1-2 teaspoons per 5 gallons is needed for this. Normally (in healthy cycled tank) salt is not needed.
Please read the article I posted. It contains a link to a write up called 'I just learnt about cycling but already have fish'.

Welcome Melissa!
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
I tried to post a reply and think I may of hit the wrong button so please forgive me if I end up posting twice.
Thank you for your post and kind welcome mummaof2. I put all my aquarium info in my profile (at least I think I did, lol). My tank was up and running for two weeks prior to adding fish in the end of 11/2012. Both I and petco tested my water before I added my first two fish - dannios. I waited two more weeks and added 2 more fish and followed this procedure until the last fish. I don't have exact numbers but i did test with the 6 in 1 and everything was within normal limits. And you don't believe in salt unless a fish is sick - thank you for that info.

Ok,
Letting a tank sit for two weeks prior to adding fish will not cycle it. The nitrogen cycle requires ammonia to start, continue and be maintained. When you added the fish (the ammonia source) the cycle began. I would not trust the test strips. They are known for giving false readings. I would suggest a large water change or two right now. I'm guessing the ammonia and/or nitrite is too high in the tank. You can add a small amount of salt to help with nitrite toxicity. Only 1-2 teaspoons per 5 gallons is needed for this. Normally (in healthy cycled tank) salt is not needed.
Please read the article I posted. It contains a link to a write up called 'I just learnt about cycling but already have fish'.
So is my tank cycled yet? I will do the water changes and read your article now. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom