Hello, New Member Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
scottb said:
so my heater just decided to die on me after the water change. Since I won't be able to get another heater until sometime tomorrow, what should I do? Will my fish be ok for at least 24 hrs? The room temp at night is around 74F and colder during the day, although I'm not sure the exact degree. HELP!

Bummer! Is this the one you suspected to be faulty? 74F is fine for a day. Huge swings won't be too good for them though. Try and keep the room warm. :) Not the end of the world. 30 something gallons of water won't loose heat too fast.

Mumma.of.two said:
Bummer! Is this the one you suspected to be faulty? 74F is fine for a day. Huge swings won't be too good for them though. Try and keep the room warm. :) Not the end of the world. 30 something gallons of water won't loose heat too fast.

Whew! Good to know I'm good for at least a day. And yes, this is the same heater. Any recommendations on new heaters?

Mmm not really. I use hydor or aquaones if that helps :p
I forgot to mention if the temp starts to fall too much you can do water changes with warmer water (don't raise temp too fast) or wrap the tank in aluminum foil, towels or blankets.

Um, wow! What size tank?! You have some MAJOR stocking incompatibilities going on there. Fish may SEEM to get along and work in a tank but 99% of the fish sold are juveniles and are not their full size or sexually mature. For example: fancy goldfish can grow up to 12 inches long, require large species only tanks and high filtration.
My fish are all Adults i have had them for alittle over a year. I have 2 Aqua Clear filter for 55 gal and a 55 gal Tank. I only have the 4 African Ciclids because a person was going to flush them because they didnt want them any more and i hate people like that and cant see healthy animals be killed no matter what. i know my tank isnt the righ Tank for them but figured it was better then death. They were origanally kept in a 5 gal tank with nothing in it or barely feed.

So I'm getting my new AC50 filter today, which I will be running alongside my Aqueon QuietFlow 30. The AC50 will be replacing my QuietFlow 10, which I have running with the 30. Will taking all the filter media from the 10, which isn't that much, and putting it in my AC50 be enough so that there's no real danger to my fish? I have biomax in both my QuietFlow filters, as extra filtration, so should I also throw in the biomax from my QuietFlow 30? I plan to run my AC55 with foam, and 2 biomax. So no carbon.

Thanks in advance for the help!

scottb said:
So I'm getting my new AC50 filter today, which I will be running alongside my Aqueon QuietFlow 30. The AC50 will be replacing my QuietFlow 10, which I have running with the 30. Will taking all the filter media from the 10, which isn't that much, and putting it in my AC50 be enough so that there's no real danger to my fish? I have biomax in both my QuietFlow filters, as extra filtration, so should I also throw in the biomax from my QuietFlow 30? I plan to run my AC55 with foam, and 2 biomax. So no carbon.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Just move all media from the QF10 to another filter. :) it will be fine.

Mumma.of.two said:
Just move all media from the QF10 to another filter. :) it will be fine.

Yea that's what I did. Actually I took the biomax from my QF30, and threw that in with the AC and put the biomax from the QF10 into the 30 haha. I also cut apart the filter insert from the 10, took out the carbon, and put that on the very top of the AC50.

Bought a heater today at my LFS for $43. I found the same heater online for under $30. I'll order it online, and return the one I bought haha. Gotta save as much money as I can.

Butterflychild said:
My fish are all Adults i have had them for alittle over a year. I have 2 Aqua Clear filter for 55 gal and a 55 gal Tank. I only have the 4 African Ciclids because a person was going to flush them because they didnt want them any more and i hate people like that and cant see healthy animals be killed no matter what. i know my tank isnt the righ Tank for them but figured it was better then death. They were origanally kept in a 5 gal tank with nothing in it or barely feed.

Butterflychild said:
I cant say but i have 2 Angels and there fine in the tank there in with all kinds of gourmis, ID sharks, plecos, corycats, 3 fantail goldfish, black moore goldfish, yoyo loches and African ciclids and there all fine together.

Ok. I'm just going to point out a few things. You can take it as you wish.
Sharks? I think I saw you said you have Bala sharks is this correct? Balas grow large. They require schools of 6 or more of their own kind. For those reasons they belong in a 125g tank.
Plecos. Commons? Sailfin? They can grow to 2 feet long. They also require 125g tanks to allow them enough room to turn around.
African cichlids are nasty! They will kill other fish. They are VERY territorial. They also require higher pH then all your other fish. They belong in a tank all to themselves.
Now the goldfish. 4 fancy goldfish fill a 55g tank. The rule of fancy goldfish stocking is 20g or the first fish and 10g for each after that. So your four need 50g just for them. They are high waste producers are require high filtration of 10x the tanks volume an hour. For a 55g you need a filter that turns over 550g of tank water per hour. Believe it or not fancy goldfish are sensitive creatures. They suffer from swim bladder issues. Moors have sensitive eyes and can be blinded by high ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. They have to have greens included into their diet to help with digestion (and of course nutrition).
Your filter isn't adequate at all. A filter rated for 55g isn't going to filter enough to support all those fish correctly.
What is your water change schedule like? Imo you need to be doing 50% every two days. With the amount of fish you have in there (this is assuming you don't have huge numbers of cories or gouramis) your tank is overstocked by at least 4x it's capacity.
Do you own a test kits? You need to have ammonia at 0, nitrite at 0 and nitrate under 40 but under 20ppm is better.
Dirty water and overcrowding leads to stress. Stress lead to disease. Dirty water and overcrowding leads to stunting. Stunting causes health issues like enlarged fins, eyes and organs, deformed spines and lowered immune systems. I know this. I have rescued goldfish. One is blind and another is suffering from a blood infection. Not very nice.
I'm not picking on you. I'm just letting you know the facts so you can make an informed decision.
Saving those cichlids was a nice gesture. :) but unless you could have provided a correct environment for them you shouldn't have taken them in. They would have been better off going back to the fish store.

Scott sorry for the hijack!

scottb said:
Yea that's what I did. Actually I took the biomax from my QF30, and threw that in with the AC and put the biomax from the QF10 into the 30 haha. I also cut apart the filter insert from the 10, took out the carbon, and put that on the very top of the AC50.

Bought a heater today at my LFS for $43. I found the same heater online for under $30. I'll order it online, and return the one I bought haha. Gotta save as much money as I can.

Good job! $13 is a huge difference. I'd return it too!

Ok. I'm just going to point out a few things. You can take it as you wish.
Sharks? I think I saw you said you have Bala sharks is this correct? Balas grow large. They require schools of 6 or more of their own kind. For those reasons they belong in a 125g tank.
Plecos. Commons? Sailfin? They can grow to 2 feet long. They also require 125g tanks to allow them enough room to turn around.
African cichlids are nasty! They will kill other fish. They are VERY territorial. They also require higher pH then all your other fish. They belong in a tank all to themselves.
Now the goldfish. 4 fancy goldfish fill a 55g tank. The rule of fancy goldfish stocking is 20g or the first fish and 10g for each after that. So your four need 50g just for them. They are high waste producers are require high filtration of 10x the tanks volume an hour. For a 55g you need a filter that turns over 550g of tank water per hour. Believe it or not fancy goldfish are sensitive creatures. They suffer from swim bladder issues. Moors have sensitive eyes and can be blinded by high ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. They have to have greens included into their diet to help with digestion (and of course nutrition).
Your filter isn't adequate at all. A filter rated for 55g isn't going to filter enough to support all those fish correctly.
What is your water change schedule like? Imo you need to be doing 50% every two days. With the amount of fish you have in there (this is assuming you don't have huge numbers of cories or gouramis) your tank is overstocked by at least 4x it's capacity.
Do you own a test kits? You need to have ammonia at 0, nitrite at 0 and nitrate under 40 but under 20ppm is better.
Dirty water and overcrowding leads to stress. Stress lead to disease. Dirty water and overcrowding leads to stunting. Stunting causes health issues like enlarged fins, eyes and organs, deformed spines and lowered immune systems. I know this. I have rescued goldfish. One is blind and another is suffering from a blood infection. Not very nice.
I'm not picking on you. I'm just letting you know the facts so you can make an informed decision.
Saving those cichlids was a nice gesture. :) but unless you could have provided a correct environment for them you shouldn't have taken them in. They would have been better off going back to the fish store.

Scott sorry for the hijack!
Ok would the 3 Cichlids be ok in a 20 gal tank.? No i have 3 ID sharks not Bala sharks. the goldfish are gone to a new home now. I dont know what kind of Plecos i have i know the biggest one in my tank is about 6 inches long then a 4 inch and so forth. I do a 50% change every 3 days. how many fish am i sapose to have in a 55 gal tank.? I was told 1 inch of fish per gallon of water.

new lights came in today. The 30" would have fit, and possibly would have fit better than the 24" I got, but nonetheless I'm happy with the purchase.

The first pic is the stock light.

ForumRunner_20120216_220948.jpg

ForumRunner_20120216_221007.jpg

Scott
I see this pic above I checked out the LED after I pm'd u last time but I think I llike the 5T better for now but I think im going wnthe 30 to make is go longer over the tank better expo all around but it looks good :)

kr8zykelley said:
Scott
I see this pic above I checked out the LED after I pm'd u last time but I think I llike the 5T better for now but I think im going wnthe 30 to make is go longer over the tank better expo all around but it looks good :)

I think you'll be very happy with the 30" from fishneedit. Do you know which bulbs you're going to get with it? Also, I would love to see pics when you get it.

yeah I think the 30 will be much better as far as length goes not sure prob one white and one blue but on thqt fixture it only offers the 10,000K bulb for each did u use his bulbs? or did u buy the bulbs somewhere else? got to get the glass top to man so behind lol

sure when I get it I will post pics not sure how to do it in the forum though lol like in this post

ur tank looks freakin awesome and u got another driftwood just great! my tank looks pretty lame next 2 that lol

Back
Top Bottom