Hello, New Member Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kr8zykelley said:
ur tank looks freakin awesome and u got another driftwood just great! my tank looks pretty lame next 2 that lol

Thank you for the compliment! It's still a work in progress. I find myself moving plants around all the time, which can't be very good for them haha. Will have to leave them alone for awhile.

I only post pics when posting with my phone, because I find it to be much easier than doing it from my laptop (the attachments link). But I'm sure some other lovely member can inform you on how to do it.

kr8zykelley said:
yeah I think the 30 will be much better as far as length goes not sure prob one white and one blue but on thqt fixture it only offers the 10,000K bulb for each did u use his bulbs? or did u buy the bulbs somewhere else? got to get the glass top to man so behind lol

I got one 10000k and one 6500k. I found that many people liked this setup. I would advise against the blue, since its more beneficial for saltwater (I THINK), unless you like the blueish color it gives off.

I know they only have 10000k listed, but before you finalize your order, there's a comments section where you can specify which bulbs you want. I also emailed Simon from FNI just to make sure I got the correct bulbs. Hope this helps!

Posting photos from a computer.
You need to upload them to a photo hosting site (like photo bucket) or to the gallery in your profile them post a link/the URL (?) in your post.

image-384844761.jpg

Mumma.of.two said:
Posting photos from a computer.
You need to upload them to a photo hosting site (like photo bucket) or to the gallery in your profile them post a link/the URL (?) in your post.

I've tried this, using the URL through Photobucket, but had issues with it. I Probably did something wrong though. If I'm not mistaken, there may be a thread regarding posting pictures.

oh ok so u did one 10K and one 65K both white? hmm Its all so tricky depending on where u look:

This applies to aquariums when we consider the light spectrum and how it applies to our aquariums individual needs: Red light is the first to be filtered out and can only penetrate a short distance. As light waves penetrate deeper into the water, orange and yellow are lost next. Of all the colors of the spectrum blue light penetrates the deepest. Corals need intense equatorial UVA (actinic) as well as other aspects of PAR. Most higher plants need a balanced PAR/PUR light range which includes the blue and two red spikes required for photosynthesis (see section about PAR & PUR).
The Nanometer scale and Kelvin temperatures come together when applied to aquarium lighting this way; Natural sunlight on a clear day registers at 5500- 6500 Kelvin degrees. Kelvin temperatures less than 5500K become more red and yellow and the higher the Kelvin temperature the more blue the light is.
So here it says the other colors are lost the deeper u go but plants need a balance of all colors for photosyn.... the higher the kelvin the more blue so maybe both white is right bc it is higher kelvin but the 65K have a mix with all spectrim colors correct? thats what I understand bottom line how do u feel it is doing for your plants and fish? or is it to early to tell? thats what I think is most important before I decided which one do u feel its giving everything in your tank what it needs?

kr8zykelley said:
oh ok so u did one 10K and one 65K both white? hmm Its all so tricky depending on where u look:

This applies to aquariums when we consider the light spectrum and how it applies to our aquariums individual needs: Red light is the first to be filtered out and can only penetrate a short distance. As light waves penetrate deeper into the water, orange and yellow are lost next. Of all the colors of the spectrum blue light penetrates the deepest. Corals need intense equatorial UVA (actinic) as well as other aspects of PAR. Most higher plants need a balanced PAR/PUR light range which includes the blue and two red spikes required for photosynthesis (see section about PAR & PUR).
The Nanometer scale and Kelvin temperatures come together when applied to aquarium lighting this way; Natural sunlight on a clear day registers at 5500- 6500 Kelvin degrees. Kelvin temperatures less than 5500K become more red and yellow and the higher the Kelvin temperature the more blue the light is.
So here it says the other colors are lost the deeper u go but plants need a balance of all colors for photosyn.... the higher the kelvin the more blue so maybe both white is right bc it is higher kelvin but the 65K have a mix with all spectrim colors correct? thats what I understand bottom line how do u feel it is doing for your plants and fish? or is it to early to tell? thats what I think is most important before I decided which one do u feel its giving everything in your tank what it needs?

Yes I went with one 10k and one 65k bulb. And I agree that there's a lot to consider with the lights, but then again, there's a lot to consider really for everything in this hobby haha. As for the effects of the lights have on my plants/fish, I'm not sure yet because it is too early to tell. You can always get the bulbs you want,or think will work best, and simply replace them if you don't like them. Let me know what you finally decide on!

UPDATE: my NitrIte levels have been off the charts the past few days. This is expected though. What wasn't expected was finding a male missing this morning...I found him while doing a water change, dead =(. Now I'm down to 1 male, having lost one already a few days ago. And I tried so hard to maintain good water conditions for them, even did 3 water changes yesterday. I guess they were just weak....Here's to hoping I don't lose anymore during my cycle.

the dead ones is why ur perameters will be off sorry for your loss it will happen if they arent strong enough to go through the changes :) Simon from FNI emailed me back and said go w one white and one pink FYI so I might do that when IM ready to order Ill let u know :) good luck on the rest of the fish

kr8zykelley said:
the dead ones is why ur perameters will be off sorry for your loss it will happen if they arent strong enough to go through the changes :) Simon from FNI emailed me back and said go w one white and one pink FYI so I might do that when IM ready to order Ill let u know :) good luck on the rest of the fish

Thank you! I have come to the conclusion that the 2 who died just weren't strong enough. It just sucks that they were both males haha. Be sure to keep me updated on your lights!

UPDATE: My remaining 4 survivors are still alive and well. I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end of my cycle, or at least I hope I am!

I've been rethinking my stock list, and so far I'm thinking this:

8 Harlequin Rasbora
4 Otocinclus
1 Male GBR (possibly a pair)

This is where I'm at right now. I know, not much haha. I would love to get a clown loach, but sadly they get too big for my tank. I would appreciate some suggestions on what else I can add!

Will 4 Oto cats be enough or should I possibly add a BN Pleco? Or maybe some shrimp? Someone said they have successfully kept GBR with red cherry shrimp. If this would work, I wouldn't mind adding some RCS.

Thanks for the help!

well if you like loaches you should try YOYO loaches they do grow to be about 6 inches. Im not sure what size your tank is but these are good loaches i cant say how they ae with shrimp. My yoyos are in my 55 gal tank with Angels, gouromis, corycats and Plecos.

Butterflychild said:
well if you like loaches you should try YOYO loaches they do grow to be about 6 inches. Im not sure what size your tank is but these are good loaches i cant say how they ae with shrimp. My yoyos are in my 55 gal tank with Angels, gouromis, corycats and Plecos.

I did look at yoyo loaches, but I have a 36g tank so I don't think they'll work. I want either an albino bushy, not bristle nose pleco, or a pitbull pleco I believe they're called. I was looking at possibly a dwarf gourami. What kind of gouramis do you have?

Well yoyo's might be ok for you i have 6 yoyos and have had them about a year and they are only about 2 and a half inches long i think they take a very long time before they get to there 6 inches. Oh i have 2 Gold, 3 Kissing, 1 Pearl,2 Blue, 1 Opaline and 2 Dwarf.

What about kuhli loaches? They stay smaller (about 4 inches and skinny) and like groups of 5 or more. You could have 4 ottos but you will have to wait at least 6 months for enough algae to grow to sustain them.
A dwarf gourami should be ok.
A second school of something would fit also.
I would choose between the ottos and pleco if it where me. My favorites are bristlenoses. I have male albino, male brown, female brown and a juvie albino and I love them! :)

Mumma.of.two said:
What about kuhli loaches? They stay smaller (about 4 inches and skinny) and like groups of 5 or more. You could have 4 ottos but you will have to wait at least 6 months for enough algae to grow to sustain them.
A dwarf gourami should be ok.
A second school of something would fit also.
I would choose between the ottos and pleco if it where me. My favorites are bristlenoses. I have male albino, male brown, female brown and a juvie albino and I love them! :)

When you say choose between the ottos and pleco, do you mean pick one or the other? What about Julii cory cats? And thanks for the tip. I'll wait to get the Oto cats. I would also like another schooling fish, just not sure which one...there are just so many!!

Butterflychild said:
Well yoyo's might be ok for you i have 6 yoyos and have had them about a year and they are only about 2 and a half inches long i think they take a very long time before they get to there 6 inches. Oh i have 2 Gold, 3 Kissing, 1 Pearl,2 Blue, 1 Opaline and 2 Dwarf.

Do you find that they get along well? Any advice in keeping them? If I do decide on a gourami, I will only get a single male. Any recommendations?

well all in all they all get along fine. The kissing gouramis fight now and then but not to often. They all get along fine in my tank. I dont know what i have males or females. Well as recommendations on which kind of male to get i cant help you there as i dont know how to tell males from females. i just order the kind of fish and take as i get them.

Back
Top Bottom