Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Freak

EDIT: while doing a water change, the lone fish joined the others, I guess with the filter off and calmer conditions, he/she was more comfortable. Currently they're all together, so ill have to monitor their behavior as often as I can. They are curious little guys though. While I was siphoning out water from the tank, they would come up to the tube and then swim away, then repeat. Also, they seem hungry. During the water change, they were nipping at some debris haha.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Freak

UPDATE: just tested my water, and my ammonia is at 0.25ppm. All my fish seem happy and healthy. They are all active and all appeared fine during their first feeding. I turned the smaller filter back on, they seem to enjoy and have fun swimming through the flow of water released by the filters. I attached some pictures of my tank, that I took from my phone. Please be easy on the critiques, I am a newbie and this is just a BASIC layout. Also, I regret the colored gravel, decision I made prior to joining this forum/having a better understanding of this whole fish keeping hobby. I will slowly add plants, but may wait until my cycle is over. Sorry you can't really see the fish, its the best I could get with my phone, and without them swimming away.

Thank you to all those who helped me in the long process of simply beginning my cycle haha. None of this would've been possibly without you guys! I will keep everyone updated on the progress of my tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120203_143340.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	74658   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120203_143359.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	74660  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120203_143419.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	74661   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120203_143448.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	74662  

Old 02-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice Freak

EDIT: for those of you who might have been curious, this is what my tank used to look like, when I originally had it set-up with the Giant Danios.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120203_144046.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	74663  
Old 02-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Good job! Keep that ammonia down!
Usually the 'magic' number with schoolers is 6. Once you have 6 or more of a schooling fish they seem to gather together more. Once your cycle is complete add a few more. A lot of schooler (well really shoal) fish only school when the feel there is a threat. Once they feel more comfortable with the tank they will start to spread out around the tank only coming together occasionally.

Tank looks great! They gravel doesn't look that bad. it kind of suits the tank and I LOVE the wood!
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome to AA! I read your entire thread and am glad you recieved the help you needed! I really enjoy this forum. Great people! I'm new to fish keeping (Set 25 '11 got my first tank) and the folks here are so helpful!

Your tank looks really good! What a nice looking piece of wood! Gorgeous! Best of luck to you and happy fish keeping
Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

YEah for scott!!! It looks sooo awesome I am soooo jealous u have rasbos!!! ~ I cant find those anywhere here and they are sooo pretty I couldnt find any good drift wood like that either now I am double jealous lol U did and great job!!!! BTW I got all the cc issues panned out and ended up ordering some plants from petswarehouse after all lol I talked to the plant guy there and he gave me some great suggestions also emailed Dustin to he is soo freakin nice I just dont have 40 to order and ship--w PW I pd 16 total for 3 plants ( one of the plants I got comes in abunch of 5-10 so I can spread it out) But u are right dustin knows his stuff and it looks great so now I am excited to get my plants hopefully wed of next week and get them going to I can get RCS!! I talked with Retired_AF on here since he seems to know alot doub le check my fish to make sure no issues and when I am ready Im ordering them from him I am so excited Mumof2 is right once the fish get used to where they are the color of them changes big time!! My guppies when the black neons first went in they got all pale and their eyes stuck out lol now all the color is back one they realize the BN wont mess with them....
Old 02-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you all for the compliments and encouragement!

Mumma, I agree, the more I look at the gravel, the more I feel like it fits my color scheme. I do notice that my fish will separate and venture in either two groups, or just spread out randomly. Guess they are getting more comfortable.

The branchy piece of wood on the left I found online, and had to play around with the placement. The bottom of the two groups, or sometime piece is actually up against the back of the tank.

Lovinfish - thank you for your post!

kelley - glad you got to check out Dustin, and that everything worked out for you with petswarehouse. What plants did you order, and what were the shipping costs?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #158

ok I ordered one of the water wisteria ( it comes in a bunch of 5-10) cyrpts wendtii-red (1) and Java windelov (1) the shipping was only 10.99 they r in NY so not far from me in VA.. my total order was like 17.80!! so we shall see what they look like her recommended anubias but he said right now his didnt come in in good shape so not to order them but at a later time... I looked at some drift wood over the net I found a piece big like that but they wanted like almost 100.00 for it!! did u get a good price on it ?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr8zykelley
ok I ordered one of the water wisteria ( it comes in a bunch of 5-10) cyrpts wendtii-red (1) and Java windelov (1) the shipping was only 10.99 they r in NY so not far from me in VA.. my total order was like 17.80!! so we shall see what they look like her recommended anubias but he said right now his didnt come in in good shape so not to order them but at a later time... I looked at some drift wood over the net I found a piece big like that but they wanted like almost 100.00 for it!! did u get a good price on it ?
Thanks! Please update me on the quality of the plants. The driftwood I bought was $35 and the shipping was about $16 so all together, a little over $50. Also, their wood if pre-soaked, so I only had to let it sit overnight in some water. Do you know how big the piece was (dimensions) that you were looking at?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #160

I think the one I looked at was a little smaller then yours I cant remember where I saw it cool they pre soak it! yeah Ill let u know they dont ship plants until monday so prob wont get them til wed I am thinking he said he had a good big water sprite hope he sends me that!! I getting everything ready to get red cherry shrimp but want to get some over on the bottom for them so that they can hide and stuff

Tags
beginner planted tank, cycling a fish tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com