Hello, New Member Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
If the salt clears it up, that's great. No need to disinfect anything unless it's something really sinister.
1 flat tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of tank water is the standard dosage. Add a 1/4 dose every 12 hours or so until you reach a full dose. If you change 50% of the water you are removing 50% of the salt in the tank. A half dose then needs to be added back in with the new water.
Is the water green or white in color? Put it in a clear glass and hold it up to the light.

Thank you. I'll have to go and get some salt tomorrow. The water is clear, I just see some "stuff" on my gravel and driftwood. If I scrape at it it floats around in the water. I also see it come out of the filter after doing a water change. Is this just part of the BB or cycle?

scottb said:
Thank you. I'll have to go and get some salt tomorrow. The water is clear, I just see some "stuff" on my gravel and driftwood. If I scrape at it it floats around in the water. I also see it come out of the filter after doing a water change. Is this just part of the BB or cycle?

Brown kinda dust like. Comes off when you whip with your finger? Look up diatoms. Harmless and common in new tanks.

I just wanted to say I am so sorry you are still going through this. It'll be such a huge relief for you once everything is normal. Again, I'm so sorry.

Mumma.of.two said:
Brown kinda dust like. Comes off when you whip with your finger? Look up diatoms. Harmless and common in new tanks.

Yes, you seem to have "hit the nail on the head." Pretty sure they are diatoms. I'll leave them alone for now and hope for the best. When I do water changes, and the filters are off, I can see the "stuff" floating on top of the water.

Lovin Fish said:
I just wanted to say I am so sorry you are still going through this. It'll be such a huge relief for you once everything is normal. Again, I'm so sorry.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I can't wait till I'm fully cycled and have happy, healthy fish!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I can't wait till I'm fully cycled and have happy, healthy fish!

I can't wait either! I hate to see others struggling with their fish. It is so hard, I know! I've been through it. I almost canned the whole fish keeping idea after I lost my favorite fish. And dealing with treatment for sick fish is so frustrating! Just keep pushing through and eventually you will be able to sit back and enjoy your fish! It's weird when that finally happens though after doing so much work. It almost feels like you "need to do more".

Mumma.of.two said:
Oh and any salt that has no anticaking agents or iodine is fine to use. Cheaper then 'special' aquarium salt.

I found some kosher salt, and under ingredients it just says salt. Also saw Morton's Natural Sea Salt, with the ingredients listed as sea salt. Both say there is no supply of iodide. Will either of these work?

scottb said:
I found some kosher salt, and under ingredients it just says salt. Also saw Morton's Natural Sea Salt, with the ingredients listed as sea salt. Both say there is no supply of iodide. Will either of these work?

Yep! Perfect. How are they looking?

Mumma.of.two said:
Yep! Perfect. How are they looking?

I haven't added any salt yet, was waiting to make sure it was safe =). So if I change out let's say roughly 20-25 gallons of water, do I need to add salt for all 20-25 gallons? I'm just not 100% sure or comfortable on the method of adding salt.

Ok, after some research, I have decided to do a 60-70% water change and let the tank run for about an hour, set aside a 5 gallon bucket of tank water with 1 tablespoon of salt, which I will gradually add throughout the day. A question I did have is when doing a water change, lets say 50%, I know I need to add half the dosage, so do I add it right away, or in small doses again?

scottb said:
I haven't added any salt yet, was waiting to make sure it was safe =). So if I change out let's say roughly 20-25 gallons of water, do I need to add salt for all 20-25 gallons? I'm just not 100% sure or comfortable on the method of adding salt.

If you have a full dose in the tank you need to replace 4 tablespoons of salt for 20g removed or 5 tablespoons of salt for 25g removed (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons). Just replace what is taken out.
Keep track of how much is in the tank. I like to write it down on a sticky note on the wall behind the tank.
You don't want to add it all at once. What I do is get enough salt for a full dose, put it in a container and dissolve in some tank water. Add 1/4 of that salt solution every 12 hours or so.
Now if you do a water change before the whole dose is in the tank (which you will be doing) you need to only replace what is taken out. So if you have a half dose (1 tablespoon per 10gallons) you only need to replace salt up to that concentration after/during your water change.

Mumma.of.two said:
If you have a full dose in the tank you need to replace 4 tablespoons of salt for 20g removed or 5 tablespoons of salt for 25g removed (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons). Just replace what is taken out.
Keep track of how much is in the tank. I like to write it down on a sticky note on the wall behind the tank.
You don't want to add it all at once. What I do is get enough salt for a full dose, put it in a container and dissolve in some tank water. Add 1/4 of that salt solution every 12 hours or so.
Now if you do a water change before the whole dose is in the tank (which you will be doing) you need to only replace what is taken out. So if you have a half dose (1 tablespoon per 10gallons) you only need to replace salt up to that concentration after/during your water change.

Thank you! Seeing as how I haven't added any salt yet, I will do my water change, let the tank run, and set aside a container with tank water and 6 tablespoons (30 gallons) of salt. Then I will slowly dose roughly 1/4 of the amount every 12 hours. Sound like a good plan? Also, do you think it might be wise to only add half the dosage, so 1 tablespoons for 10g? And what should my temp be at? Currently its at 79-80F.

Managed to get a picture of what I believe are diatoms. This is what it looks like when I'm doing a water change and the filters are off.

ForumRunner_20120228_171820.jpg

Anyone care to confirm this? Of course that is if they can from the picture.

And just for fun, thought I'd add a picture of my water change setup. I use the gravel vac to siphon water back into my tank, using a separate bucket to add new, dechlorinated water into the bucket with the vac in it. What do you think? Would love to see/hear other peoples setups!

ForumRunner_20120228_171902.jpg

Oh, and the firelogs are just for leverage haha.

scottb said:
Thank you! Seeing as how I haven't added any salt yet, I will do my water change, let the tank run, and set aside a container with tank water and 6 tablespoons (30 gallons) of salt. Then I will slowly dose roughly 1/4 of the amount every 12 hours. Sound like a good plan? Also, do you think it might be wise to only add half the dosage, so 1 tablespoons for 10g? And what should my temp be at? Currently its at 79-80F.

Starting off with a smaller dose and slowly increasing the salt will allow you to monitor your fishes reaction to it. Sounds like a good plan. IMO the temps fine for now. If it gets worse decrease the temp a bit.

scottb said:
Managed to get a picture of what I believe are diatoms. This is what it looks like when I'm doing a water change and the filters are off.

Anyone care to confirm this? Of course that is if they can from the picture.

And just for fun, thought I'd add a picture of my water change setup. I use the gravel vac to siphon water back into my tank, using a separate bucket to add new, dechlorinated water into the bucket with the vac in it. What do you think? Would love to see/hear other peoples setups!

Oh, and the firelogs are just for leverage haha.

Look up biofilm. That's what forms on the top of the water. Harmless also. You can remove it by putting a paper towel over the surface if the water for a second or increasing surface agitation.

Water change set up looks good :) I use to put a chair on a table but my kids kept trying to climb it :/

Lovin Fish said:
I can't wait either! I hate to see others struggling with their fish. It is so hard, I know! I've been through it. I almost canned the whole fish keeping idea after I lost my favorite fish. And dealing with treatment for sick fish is so frustrating! Just keep pushing through and eventually you will be able to sit back and enjoy your fish! It's weird when that finally happens though after doing so much work. It almost feels like you "need to do more".

"need to do more." - haha I know exactly what you mean by this. Thanks for the support and faith!

So I began the salt treatment yesterday, only did a half dose to be safe. I noticed the female with the white on her head has been breathing heavily. Her mouth is opening and closing constantly. She is also not very active and didn't seem interested in any food when I fed them last night. Anyone know why this could be? Should I just continue to dose salt and hope for the best?

scottb said:
So I began the salt treatment yesterday, only did a half dose to be safe. I noticed the female with the white on her head has been breathing heavily. Her mouth is opening and closing constantly. She is also not very active and didn't seem interested in any food when I fed them last night. Anyone know why this could be? Should I just continue to dose salt and hope for the best?

I'm sorry to hear that :( IMO/E it won't be the salt causing it. Up the dosage today IMO. Keep up the water changes and reduce the heat by 2-3 degrees. I don't know what else to suggest sorry. The salt will help kill whatever it is and help promote the fishes slime coat. It could be from cycling (not if you are keeping the toxins down), weaker stock from the store, a bacteria or fungus. IME harlequins can be sensitive. As you know I went through 16 to get the 6 (was 7) I have now.
Good luck! I know it sucks loosing one after another but keep your head up and know your doing your best!

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm sorry to hear that :( IMO/E it won't be the salt causing it. Up the dosage today IMO. Keep up the water changes and reduce the heat by 2-3 degrees. I don't know what else to suggest sorry. The salt will help kill whatever it is and help promote the fishes slime coat. It could be from cycling (not if you are keeping the toxins down), weaker stock from the store, a bacteria or fungus. IME harlequins can be sensitive. As you know I went through 16 to get the 6 (was 7) I have now.
Good luck! I know it sucks loosing one after another but keep your head up and know your doing your best!

Thanks for the support! I plan to do another water change later tonight, having already done one this morning, and will up the salt dose by 2 tablespoons or so. Will post if anything changes.

Back
Top Bottom