Hello, New Member Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UPDATE: woke up this morning and found this...

ForumRunner_20120301_101522.jpg

the sick female didn't make it, sigh. I tried searching for any white marks, but her color was so faded that it was hard to tell. I don't see a difference yet in the males fin, but the last female doesn't seem to be showing any signs. They are my last, and strongest two. Here's to them surviving!!

UPDATE: woke up this morning and found this...

View attachment 79975

the sick female didn't make it, sigh. I tried searching for any white marks, but her color was so faded that it was hard to tell. I don't see a difference yet in the males fin, but the last female doesn't seem to be showing any signs. They are my last, and strongest two. Here's to them surviving!!

Sorry Scott. :nono:

Mumma.of.two said:
Oh I'm sorry. Your not having a very good start to fish keeping. :( :( I'm glad the others are ok. :)

Tell me about it.

UPDATE: I know it's been a little while since I last updated, started a new job this week so things are a little hectic. My two survivors are alive and still going strong. The salt seems to be helping, I'm pretty sure the white areas are clearing up!

UPDATE: so I haven't checked my water parameters for a few days, so I decided to test it after doing a water change and....all zeros!! My tank is finally cycled! I just want to thank everyone who's helped me through this journey, especially Mumma. I plan to add to my 2 surviving rasboras next week, to up the number to 6.

Let the new journey of building my community begin!

Mumma.of.two said:
Congrats! Still keep an eye on params and check the day after you add new fish. :)

Thanks for the reminder, I checked my parameters after I got home from work, and my Nitrates were at 40ppm. Just got done doing a 50-60% water change.

They must have been that high yesterday too. Two fish in 30 gallons of water won't produce that much in 24 hours. Make sure you shake the stuffing out of the #2 nitrate solution bottle and then the test tube. Wait exactly 5 minutes to read the result. But nitrate and nothing else is good!

Mumma.of.two said:
They must have been that high yesterday too. Two fish in 30 gallons of water won't produce that much in 24 hours. Make sure you shake the stuffing out of the #2 nitrate solution bottle and then the test tube. Wait exactly 5 minutes to read the result. But nitrate and nothing else is good!

Actually it's 7 fish. I got 4 more Rasboras and a flame dwarf gourami. The gouramis colors are awesome!! I will check Nitrates again when I get home from work today.

Mumma.of.two said:
And ammonia and nitrite will need checking. :)

Any pictures???

Why do ammonia and NitrIte need checking? I thought they would read zeros since my cycle is complete.

I will add pictures soon!

Because the tank is newly cycled and you've increased the bioload. You have bacteria to handle the original fish but maybe not enough to handle all the new ones. The bacteria colony grows or shrinks in relation to how much food is available to them. More fish = more ammonia = more bacteria. That's why its advised to only add few new fish per week.

Mumma.of.two said:
Because the tank is newly cycled and you've increased the bioload. You have bacteria to handle the original fish but maybe not enough to handle all the new ones. The bacteria colony grows or shrinks in relation to how much food is available to them. More fish = more ammonia = more bacteria. That's why its advised to only add few new fish per week.

Understood. So when can I expect my levels to be ok so that I can get on a weekly water change schedule?

scottb said:
Understood. So when can I expect my levels to be ok so that I can get on a weekly water change schedule?

Now if they are stable. It's just a good idea to keep an eye on things for a few days after new fish. Especially if it's a newly cycled tank. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
Now if they are stable. It's just a good idea to keep an eye on things for a few days after new fish. Especially if it's a newly cycled tank. :)

Ok, will do. Thanks! Just got home from work and they are all doing well =)

Back
Top Bottom