Help with cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treverchaos

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I recently rejoined the hobby after several years away and I find myself some what confused now, as I've seemed to forget most of what I once knew about fish keeping. I have a 5 week old set up now on a 47gallon tall tank. It has a aquaclear 70 box filter and a 200 watt fluvel heater.
Under some bad advice from a petsmart I started the tank with 4 rainbow sharks, stress coat, stress zyme, and ammo lock. things seemed fine at first. was told this way I could add 4 fish a week until populated. 2nd week I added a spotted pim, a gold ram, and 2 electric blue rams.( awesome fish) week 3 I added a snail.
The water turned cloudy. the fish seemed unhappy. I started doing research on everything. Then set up a 10 which will be a new arrival tank once everything is cycled. I lost the german gold ram and one of the rainbow sharks. The other sharks and spotted pim were moved to the 10 gallon. the electric blue rams are mating.
I keep reading high ammonia. 4.0 and above in both tanks with no nitrites or nitrates. ph steady at a 7.1 and temp at 78-79 degrees
I stopped the chemicals about a week ago accept for the stress coat to declorinate during water changes.
Changing 30-50% of the water daily now to get ammonia under control.
What can I do to help stabilize and cycle my water?
the rest of my fish seem to be fine and showing normal behavior. The electric blue rams have laid eggs, but then ate them.
I'm just really impaitence and concerned about the fish health as my tank does not seem to be cycling.

Welcome to AA. if you have high ammonia i would be doing larger water changes. other then water changes if you know anyone with a aquarium you could get some filter media to help speed up the cycle.

a fishless cycle can take 6-8 weeks. cycling with fish normally takes longer then that.

Thanks.
I was able to get a cycled filter cartridge today and a bag of gravel out of a tank. Just added both. any idea on how long before I start to see what I need?

Back
Top Bottom