HEY!!!!!!!!!! NEW TO SALTWATER! and breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clownfish767

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey! My name is Victor and i live in TN. 3 weeks ago i set up a 30gallon saltwater tank. I put a mated pair of clown fish in there a week ago and there doing great! :) There doing all the normal breeding habits so hopefully after they get acclimated to the tank they will start! I have a 30 gallon power filter, a 20 gallon canister filter, 30lb live sand,a 150 watt heater(constant 80 degrees), and 1lb live rock lmao. I'd love any advice!!!!!

Attachments

• clowns.jpg
    clowns.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 96
I would lower the temperature. 80 is alittle on the warm side. I keep mine between 76 and 78 degrees. I used to breed clownfish and it is really tough an very very time consuming, but it is pretty cool when u get it right.

Thanks for the tip i'll lower the tempature tonight. What would you put the salt level at? mine is currently 1.023.. My clowns are True Percula's The male is a misbar.

I keep mine around 1.024. What u have it at is fine. Nice!!! Thats what i used to breed were true percs. Now i have two onyx perculas. Do you have an anemone for them??

To Melosu:Thanks! I'm also an Ohio fan. Thats where i was born from.

And no i don't have an anemone for the. :( i wasn't sure how much they would cost and what kind i needed. Also i heard lighting was expensive.

Also did you make money breeding?? It's not my main goal but it would be nice. Stores here will pay me 10 each for fry.

The problem is how long u have to have them before they are ready to sell. I Stayed with some of them and have them in a 20 gallon reef at home.

What lights do you have?? Mine have a carpet anemone. They love those anemones.

I have an aqua live 18 in strip light :/ haha its just all i could get for now. and 'ive seen little carpets at petco for 30$... If you want i could send you a picture of my current set up. BTW i added to your rep. i appreciate the help :)

Hmm.. What kind of little carpets? If they are maxi-mini anemones, the clowns will not host them ever. Same thing goes for mini-mini anemones. Also, I wouldn't get an anemone just because you think it will make the clowns happier. It's been proven several times that clowns will host just about anything.. Powerheads, Sand, fake rubber anemones, heaters, whatever. You name it and a clown could host, should they choose to do so. The setup you have now is fine, and unless you decide to get stronger lights and your tank matures for a little longer, i would cut out an anemone. To keep a nem happy long term, you want strong lights, and a mature tank to minimize the risks of any tank fluctuations, which irritate anemones. They are very sensitive creatures, even if some nems are hardier then others.

Oh yah, and Welcome to AA!

I'm not planning on getting an anemone anytime soon but when i do ill be sure to do plenty of research and make the anemone as happy as possible. I want to start a reef tank some day and thats one of the reasons i'm breeding clowns. and Thanks!
To Jabibi: Ill send a picture when i get home btw

Ok i got a couple questions i need answered ASAP PLEASEEEE haha. I just got my Rotifers in the mail today and i set up a 5 gallon bucket with saltinity at 1.019, and a small pump. i have a 16oz bottle of Rotifers how should i put in?? just pour them in? and do i need a light or certain heat for them??

Separate issue: There is some small spots of orange looking algae on my tank walls... i don't know if this is normal or what. the tank is only 3 weeks old... Thanks for any and all help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom