Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Wink Hi guys :)

Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum but have 5 years 'experience' within fish-keeping. What I mean by that is making the fish alive for long enough to enjoy them.

Last year, thou, I've set up a 65l low-tech planted fish tank and it was doing pretty good I have to say. I had some deaths at the beginning as I've stupidly put a tree bark in it without any prior treatment, but after taking that out and everyday water changes for a week it all went back to normal. Unfortunately, as I am a student, I had to leave Plymouth, UK for 3 months so I gave the fish and plants to my friends. The plan was for me to take them back, but both of my friends didn't mind leaving them alone as the fish were happy.

I am back now, and I've set the fishtank back again. This year its all about the German Blue Rams and neon tetras. The tank was cycling for 2 weeks before I could get my ammonia nitrates and nitrites to 0s. Everytime I did a water change I would get ph swings, kh really high and gh really low(between 0ppm and 30ppm!!) Now my kh and gh haven't changed but my ph is stable for some reason(during day, night and after water change it is at 6) so I added 8 neaons and a week later a male and female rams.

It's been 2 weeks since I've put the fish in and it is all stable with weird parameters

Just to add to the fishtank specs:
Fishtank: AquaStart 500
Filter: Tetra 500 and diy moving bed filter(Cuz the rams apparently need decent water quality)
Substrate: Aqua Gro and black gravel
Decorations: 2 bogwoods and ceramic pot
Plants: Java Moss, Egeria Densa, Cabomba, Wisteria and Magenta Water Hedge
Occupants: 2 German Blue Rams, 8 Neon Tetras

So yeah this is my story

P.S. If you see anything wrong with the set up please tell me that ASAP!

Justynkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Umm....what do you mean by weird parameters?
dalto is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com