hi im new and need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattypalin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi, i have just been getting a fish tank but when i got it home i noticed it did not have a light in the top. Can i attach a light myself or will i need another tank? i am planning on turning it into a marine tank

Welcome to AA! We hope ya enjoy ;)

The light you can buy by its self. Just make sure you get one for your size tank. Also do your research because with marine tanks you need real powerfully lights. We have a great saltwater section of the forum you should head over there and ask for help.

:welcome:
Welcome to AA!! We are glad to have you!​

If you are planning a reef, you will want to do some research - there is a lot that goes into keeping a successful reef, and very high powered (and often expensive) lights are one of those items.

If it is just going to be Fish Only, just about any light will do.

Hi, thanks for the help. i am just going to have fish in my tank. i am thinking about getting a boxfish and a lionfish to start off with.

Hi, thanks for the help. i am just going to have fish in my tank. i am thinking about getting a boxfish and a lionfish to start off with.

How big is the tank...? Have u read about cycling? I highly recommend you do so! Also, I would start with freshwater as its A LOT easier. If you decide to go the freshwater route pm me and I can prevent a lot of regret.

A fish only marine tank is no more difficult than a FW fish only tank. The only difference is salt and checking salinity. The fish are more expensive generally, however.

A fish only marine tank is no more difficult than a FW fish only tank. The only difference is salt and checking salinity. The fish are more expensive generally, however.

And more delicate. If you have no experience then why would you spend a crap ton of money just to have your fish die because of your minimal knowledge? (Sorry if I sound rude. Not trying to!)

The tank is 33 gallons. I have read up and am quite confident about cycling. I really have my heart set on saltwater fish. Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated

I would disagree with more delicate. There are delicate and hardy species in both facets of the hobby. Fish dieing from lack of knowledge is a problem as well with both marine and FW aquariums.

My suggestion would be to research both, read about cycling, care requirements, water changes, maintenance, and the species you are interested in keeping. As a first tank, either a FW or SW tank can be a rewarding experience if one goes in prepared - or a frustrating experience if not prepared for the requirements :).

The tank is 33 gallons. I have read up and am quite confident about cycling. I really have my heart set on saltwater fish. Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated

33 gal is WAYY too small for a lion fish and a box fish... Correct me if I'm wrong

i am a huge animal lover so the last thing i want to do is kill the fish so that is why i have done lots of research on saltwater fish and how to keep them, but i am grateful for the help and advise

33 Gallons would not appropriate for lion fish or a box fish. Box fish alone need very large tanks, 180 gallons +.

the boxfish i have seen is only 2 inches and the pet shop owner said it wouldnt grow much bigger. i might have got mixed up on the fish tank size.

The tank is most likely a 40 gal tank. It is not large enough for box fish. Even the smallest, not commonly available species need a tank of over 100 gallons at maturity.

Back
Top Bottom