Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you Krissycakes for the advice. I appreciate your input.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If you have Hikari Micro Pellets (used to be called Micro Bites) where you live.

Amazon.com: Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets 45 Gm: Pet Supplies

These are great and don't screw up your water parameters as quickly, like flakes do (cause ammonia spikes). If your fishes mouthes are slightly smaller you can rub the pellets together in your fingers to make them smaller sized pieces. I find this size to be excellent for adult Tetras and I use it for smaller fish and crush them down some for their smaller mouths.

The Hikari Bottom Feeder wafers and the Algae wafers are great for Cories too. I like all their products. They don't cloud the water.

Feed the fish conservatively. I would take a normal amount and feed 1/2 am and pm (if you are home all day long you can divide one days food into 3 feedings if you find feeding the fish a fun thing to do, just don't feed full feedings 3x per day lol). You can give them a good variety of foods.

Uneaten food will wreak havoc on your water quality. It is a fact fish will eat even when they don't need to, always acting hungry.

Also 12 hours is a little long for the light. If you use a timer, just cut out/turn off the light for a 2-6 hour period in the middle of the day and have it come on when you are home, so you can see and enjoy them.

Dividing the photo period of light will interrupt the algae growth cycle from what my fish and aquarium plant book told me and since doing that I have a much lower issue with algae.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #13

Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
If you have Hikari Micro Pellets (used to be called Micro Bites) where you live.

Amazon.com: Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets 45 Gm: Pet Supplies

These are great and don't screw up your water parameters as quickly, like flakes do (cause ammonia spikes). If your fishes mouthes are slightly smaller you can rub the pellets together in your fingers to make them smaller sized pieces. I find this size to be excellent for adult Tetras and I use it for smaller fish and crush them down some for their smaller mouths.

The Hikari Bottom Feeder wafers and the Algae wafers are great for Cories too. I like all their products. They don't cloud the water.

Feed the fish conservatively. I would take a normal amount and feed 1/2 am and pm (if you are home all day long you can divide one days food into 3 feedings if you find feeding the fish a fun thing to do, just don't feed full feedings 3x per day lol). You can give them a good variety of foods.

Uneaten food will wreak havoc on your water quality. It is a fact fish will eat even when they don't need to, always acting hungry.

Also 12 hours is a little long for the light. If you use a timer, just cut out/turn off the light for a 2-6 hour period in the middle of the day and have it come on when you are home, so you can see and enjoy them.

Dividing the photo period of light will interrupt the algae growth cycle from what my fish and aquarium plant book told me and since doing that I have a much lower issue with algae.
Hi Autumnsky.

Thank you for your kind input.

I have checked these Hikari Micro Pellets, and will be purchasing later on today + wafers and algae wafers for my bottom Cory catfish. I will also be investing in a light switch timer, so I can enjoy, when i get home from work.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifoli View Post
Hi Autumnsky.

Thank you for your kind input.

I have checked these Hikari Micro Pellets, and will be purchasing later on today + wafers and algae wafers for my bottom Cory catfish. I will also be investing in a light switch timer, so I can enjoy, when i get home from work.
Good, enjoying them is what is all about!

Just keep a check on the water quality to make sure they are doing good, and continue to! ( API master test kit is a great resource for that.)

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

oh for the Corys one way to get them active in feeding is to take tubafix worm cubes and break them up. you can bury them in the sand or gravel you have in the bottom. its fun to watch them sift through and find the food. some are dainty about it others just make a big puff of food float around them XD.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #16

Thriving 10 Gallon Tank

Hi Fish Lovers.

I now have added 4 Panda Cory Fish to my 10 Gallon Tank on top of 7 Neon Tetras, 5 Lemon Tetra, 6 Rosy Tetra, 2 Harlequin Raspbora, 1 Bronze Catfish, and 1 Hoplo spotted Catfish.

I am aware that everyone has there own theory with overstocking. But I do not seem to have any problem, as all the fish in my 10 gallon tank are thriving without any problems.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifoli View Post
Hi Fish Lovers.

I now have added 4 Panda Cory Fish to my 10 Gallon Tank on top of 7 Neon Tetras, 5 Lemon Tetra, 6 Rosy Tetra, 2 Harlequin Raspbora, 1 Bronze Catfish, and 1 Hoplo spotted Catfish.

I am aware that everyone has there own theory with overstocking. But I do not seem to have any problem, as all the fish in my 10 gallon tank are thriving without any problems.
It's one thing for them to thrive short term as juveniles in a 10g tank, but to honest, I think long term, you will find that all those fish won't do well as adults (I almost typed fully grown, but they may not reach their potential size)
Eg:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/stats...catfish1g.html
Old 09-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspixie View Post
It's one thing for them to thrive short term as juveniles in a 10g tank, but to honest, I think long term, you will find that all those fish won't do well as adults (I almost typed fully grown, but they may not reach their potential size)
Eg:
Hoplo catfish, Megalechis thoracata with tropical aquarium fish statistics, care and photos
Hi Cactuspixie.

Thank you for your kind advice.

I forgot to mention that fish are fully grown. Megalechus Thoracata(Spotted Hoplo Catfish) - 5 inches. Lemon,Neon and Rosy Tetras - 1.5 & 2 inches. Bronze Catfish - 2 inches and Harlequins - 1.5 inches.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

weather they are fully grown or not your overstocked. look check out this website aqadvisor.com just to make sure my hunch is right.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

They may appear to be fine, but if given the chance in a bigger tank, I think they would love it more. More room to stretch the fins=)

Tags
advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com