In with both feet!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linkclan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, thanks for having me.

As the title of this post says, I am truly in with both feet.

Always loved the hobby and had multiple salt water setups when i was in my twenty's. Back then I actually worked for Marineland Life Support / Aquaria Inc. Yup the same guys that put lobster tanks in restaurants and manufacture aquarium filters.

So... being all grown up now with a bit of money and some land, I just finished building a 22ft geodesic dome in my garden and put a 2000gal tank in it. :eek:The total volume of water is closer to 4000gal with grow beds, raft, sump and fishy nursery.

The dome was supposed to be a traditional "dirt" greenhouse but a friend of mine that helped in the building murmured....."You should put fish in this thing" and "Lets make that water ballast as big as possible!" The rest is now recent history.

So all that said, I am in the late stages of fish-less cycling and am waiting for the nitrites to go away. I have been through a whopping 3gallons of ammonia so far, working on my fourth. It takes about 6cups to bring me to 3ppm but I have backed off to 2ppm the last couple days as my nitrites and nitrates are off the chart. Water changes are a BIG ordeal and I use a separate 3000gph pump to facilitate the procedure. Most of the water is used to flood the garden and I haul buckets off to the fruit trees and grape vines.

Looking forward to having all your support.

Thanks

And pictures.... we like pictures around here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here you go!
This is the main tank.

This is the nursery.

These are the grow beds, I started the plants on the first day of ammonia. The banana seems to really like the conditions and is producing a new leaf once a week.

Strange, I uploaded pictures twice and they seem to be under some sort of long term mod review:angel:

Maybe it is because I used photo bucket, I will try direct upload.
Assumptions are correct pics are under mod review!

Last edited:
Difficult dealing with such a large system. Just finished yet another PWC, it took almost 4 hours to complete. This one finally got my nitrites down to a readable level..

I was wondering, is it because of the shear volume that is making the cycle take so long? This is the beginning of the eighth week.

That is official like a referee with a whistle!!

Back
Top Bottom