Landscape Architect taking the plunge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atrian

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I'm Atrian and I'm just starting my aquarium journey.

I'm a landscape architect, so I'm really focusing on the planted side of the aquarium and perfecting that. Obviously fish are a requirement of the ecosystem, plus they're just as enjoyable to watch and care for.

I decided it would be a good plan to join a community to get advice to avoid pitfalls. I've read through a lot of articles on here on substrate and lighting etc.

I've got a tank ordered and it's coming next week, so I'm preparing. I found a great local fish store with glowing recommendations and the owner was amazing with helping me order the right tank for my starting goals. It's a Aqueon 29G kit tank with LED lights.

I'm going to be doing a low-tech planted freshwater tank.

Right now, I'm looking for a good link for a plant directory that organizes by light requirements, growth rate, CO2 requirements, other important details (?), and most importantly, photos!

Also, any recommendations on great aquarium stores with selection in Central Coast California would be amazing.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to discussing everything with everybody, and will try and keep a photo/video journal of my progress.

One last thing. I saw from an online store that a Fiddler crab and nerite snail is a good addition for algae fighting. I've seen/gotten too many nerite snail recommendations to not get one, but was wondering on the fiddler crab for a planted tank. I haven't seen too much on that. Has anybody tried them?

-Atrian

Hi and welcome to AA:) Only just started the planted tank journey myself and enjoying it immensely. From my experience so far I'd recommend defiantly using a proper plant substrate then start with a good mix of plants as some will grow and others will not for what ever reason then build from there. I do not use Co2, so cannot comment on that, I would also think fiddler crabs are a no no. Being brackish and needing a 'a land area'.

Welcome to AA! Glad to have you!
You do have a head start since you work as landscaping, and aquascaping isn't that far from it. Same as terrestrially, you just pick your plants, hardscape and set them up how you think it looks good. Some plants do need more specialized care though and aren't for everyone.

A 29 gallon is a perfect size to start off with. Gives you lots of play room with scapes and stocking. You can do all kinds of scapes, from iwagumi to driftwood to moss trees. All can be done in a low tech set up.

Some nice low tech plants that can grow easily for you are java moss, anacharis, water wisteria, najas guppy grass, anubius, and any other low light plant that doesn't need Co2. On the other hand, we have plants that really do need high light/Co2 injection. These plants include dwarf hair grass, dwarf baby tears and dwarf four leaf clovers (just some I can think of off the top of my head)

Anyway, we'll be glad to help you in any way, so feel free to ask questions! (y)

If you're interested in plants I recommend upgrading to a better light. I have that 29 gallon kit and the lights barely keep any plants alive. Maybe look into some of the Finnex LEDs? They're quite popular, I have one on my 10 gallon planted and I love it.

Anyway, welcome to AA!

I would be wary of using a fiddler crab in a planted tank for algae control. Mostly because it may snack on the plants and also I believe fiddler crabs need "surface time" and brackish water.
This online site has a nice menu that allows sorting and listing of plants based on light requirements, position in tank, growth type. Plant names and pics to help you make your selections.
Proper lighting and fertilizers levels help with algae control. Amano shrimp and otocinclus catfish (in an established tank) are effective for algae control as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you everybody for the welcome and initial advice.

Fresh2O, that site was perfect! I'm checking out another local-ish shop for more plant selection.

Welcome!

What types of fish are you interested in?

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom