Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My first aquarium :D with PhOtOs

Hi everyone

For my first post i thought i'd quicly show you my new aquarium. A jewel Vision 120.

I set it up with a nutrient-rich base substrate for my plants. I'm a horticulturist, but this is my first attempt with the aquatic type
On top of the base substrate i put aquarium sand, which i think makes for a beautiful and practical covering. Also its good for what i want, and thats a few different fish which need the fine substrate .

I have a variety of plants and will be giving a list of in a later post. fish wise, i have. . . .

10 Neon Tetra
5 Rummy Nose Tetra
5 Glass Catfish
1 Synodontis
6 Kuhli Loach
1 Congo Frog (Dwarf African Frog?)
1 Snail (that i just noticed!, must have come in with the plants )

I posted up a few photos, but they not to good. I had to take them with my phone. WILL be posting up when i get my dig cam back

Well anyways its nice to find somewhere i can learn about my new hobby look forward to posting up soon with some much better shots and info on my set up if anyones interested.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank1_890.jpg (185.5 KB, 33 views)

Ant0ni081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Welcome to AA!!! Looks like you tank is off to a nice start.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welcome to AA!!!! like your tank, can not wait to see more.

drobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
looks great!! what lighting do you have other that thing?

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
odd effect with the terracing, I like it
"... if any one specie does not become modified and improved in a corresponding degree with its competitors, it will soon be exterminated." - Charles Darwin
evercl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
Welcome!!! Your tank is pretty cool.... nice to know there are other people that enjoy their work enough to do it as a hobby also....
animalparamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to Esra
Beautiful tank mate.

I'm going to replace my substrate soon and I love the ripple effect you have there.
Esra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Welcome to AA. Nice Tank
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
Very nice!!! I also like the 'rippled' effect ... more pictures as you go would be great!
Kimberly in NE Florida
Cycle complete Early 2-06
29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Nice thanks everyone for the warm welcome, i wasnt expecting all the big boys to come in and complement my tank lol, great!

As im at home and have the day off work i thought i would start by listing the plant species i have and giving a little more info on my set up and what i've used so far.

Pls pls pls if anyone has ANY tips or info on anything i have i would be very greatful for the responce. I can take the critism so dont be afraid of telling me if i done something wrong or if you would have done it differently. Im here to learn so any feed back is good feed back

OK heres a list of the plants i have. I'll give the name and position in the tank for anyone wanting to identify them within my underwater garden. Based on the full tank photo above in the first post.

Ludwigia mullertii (L.Repens) (front left corner of tank)
Cabomba Australis (Back left corner of tank)
Aponogeton Madagascariensis (Mid-Left, centre of drift wood)
Miriophyllum Matogrossense (Back, behind A. madagascariensis)
Nyphea Maculata (N. zenkeri) (Tiger Lotus) (Foreground, front right of drift wood)
Crinium Natans (Centre, Midground)
Aponogeton Crispus (Centre, middle of tank)
Limnophilia Aquatica (Centre, back behind A. crispus)
Vallisneria Torta (Twisted vallis) (Back, mid right)
Vallisneria Rubra (Giant red vallisneria) (Back, right of V. torta)
Eleocharis Aricularis (Dwarf Hairgrass) (foreground, right of centre)
Ceratopteris Siliquosa (Fine leaf Indian fern) (front, far right corner)

And as of this morning i have recieved in the post, 4 moss balls and a banana plant. A strange plant with large finger-like roots, hence the banana conection lol. Not sure of its botanical name. . .so i would be interested if anyone knows.

And when will these moss balls sink?! they just wont come down lol

I'm thinking of getting a few more suitable bulbs to help the plants out. At the moment i have 2 tubes, both of 25w each. The front tubes a Jewel WarmLite, and the rear a Interpet DayLite Plus.
Im looking out for a more plant specific tube to replace the DayLite Plus. So any suggestions are welcomed

And as for the substrate waves along the bottom, yea i like them too I got the inspiration from a photo i saw in a aquatics book. There was a shot of a giant clam, and where the two shells met along the centre line was this beautiful interlocking wave effect. So i set on it and got this two tone wave.

Right im off to search out my digcam and i'll be back with some better photos of it all later on today.

Ant0ni081 is offline   Reply With Quote

oto, photos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com