My first aquarium :D with PhOtOs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ant0ni081

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone :D

For my first post i thought i'd quicly show you my new aquarium. A jewel Vision 120.

I set it up with a nutrient-rich base substrate for my plants. I'm a horticulturist, but this is my first attempt with the aquatic type ;)
On top of the base substrate i put aquarium sand, which i think makes for a beautiful and practical covering. Also its good for what i want, and thats a few different fish which need the fine substrate :).

I have a variety of plants and will be giving a list of in a later post. fish wise, i have. . . .

10 Neon Tetra
5 Rummy Nose Tetra
5 Glass Catfish
1 Synodontis
6 Kuhli Loach
1 Congo Frog (Dwarf African Frog?)
1 Snail (that i just noticed!, must have come in with the plants :))

I posted up a few photos, but they not to good. I had to take them with my phone. WILL be posting up when i get my dig cam back ;)

Well anyways its nice to find somewhere i can learn about my new hobby :D look forward to posting up soon with some much better shots and info on my set up if anyones interested.

Thanks.

Antonio

Attachments

• tank1_890.jpg
    tank1_890.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 38
Welcome!!! Your tank is pretty cool.... nice to know there are other people that enjoy their work enough to do it as a hobby also....

Beautiful tank mate.

I'm going to replace my substrate soon and I love the ripple effect you have there.

Nice :) thanks everyone for the warm welcome, i wasnt expecting all the big boys to come in and complement my tank lol, great! :D

As im at home and have the day off work i thought i would start by listing the plant species i have and giving a little more info on my set up and what i've used so far.

Pls pls pls if anyone has ANY tips or info on anything i have i would be very greatful for the responce. I can take the critism so dont be afraid of telling me if i done something wrong or if you would have done it differently. Im here to learn so any feed back is good feed back ;)

OK heres a list of the plants i have. I'll give the name and position in the tank for anyone wanting to identify them within my underwater garden. Based on the full tank photo above in the first post.

Ludwigia mullertii (L.Repens) (front left corner of tank)
Cabomba Australis (Back left corner of tank)
Aponogeton Madagascariensis (Mid-Left, centre of drift wood)
Miriophyllum Matogrossense (Back, behind A. madagascariensis)
Nyphea Maculata (N. zenkeri) (Tiger Lotus) (Foreground, front right of drift wood)
Crinium Natans (Centre, Midground)
Aponogeton Crispus (Centre, middle of tank)
Limnophilia Aquatica (Centre, back behind A. crispus)
Vallisneria Torta (Twisted vallis) (Back, mid right)
Vallisneria Rubra (Giant red vallisneria) (Back, right of V. torta)
Eleocharis Aricularis (Dwarf Hairgrass) (foreground, right of centre)
Ceratopteris Siliquosa (Fine leaf Indian fern) (front, far right corner)

And as of this morning i have recieved in the post, 4 moss balls and a banana plant. A strange plant with large finger-like roots, hence the banana conection lol. Not sure of its botanical name. . .so i would be interested if anyone knows.

And when will these moss balls sink?! they just wont come down lol

I'm thinking of getting a few more suitable bulbs to help the plants out. At the moment i have 2 tubes, both of 25w each. The front tubes a Jewel WarmLite, and the rear a Interpet DayLite Plus.
Im looking out for a more plant specific tube to replace the DayLite Plus. So any suggestions are welcomed ;)

And as for the substrate waves along the bottom, yea i like them too :D I got the inspiration from a photo i saw in a aquatics book. There was a shot of a giant clam, and where the two shells met along the centre line was this beautiful interlocking wave effect. So i set on it and got this two tone wave.

Right im off to search out my digcam and i'll be back with some better photos of it all later on today.

Welcome to AA Antonio!

I'll also jump on the bandwagon, your tank looks stunning. That being said, would you mind replicating the above post in the Planted tank forum? The Planted tank guru's would enjoy seeing what you've done.

Sure, i'll post this thread on there so i can carry it on ;)

thanks for the direction Jchillin

Welcome to AA! It looks like a great start, cannot wait to see some more pics.

Thanks for the nice comments :D

This is my first attempt at aquascaping. I Knew what i wanted to achieve and im happy with the result considering its a first attempt. I cant wait for a month later when the plants have filled out a little more, they're well on their way already. just a new set up, plant specific substrate under the aquarium sand top layer, and a dose of ferts. No CO2 as of yet, although i would like to invest in a small CO2 injector.

So if anyone has any success stories and can suggest/recommend one of the smaller CO2 systems i would be greatful ;)

Heres a few more pics from my phone cam. Better ones will replace all my photos tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks

Ant

Attachments

• tower1_455.jpg
    tower1_455.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 31
Welcome to AA! Looks like you did your homework before taking the plunge! Way to go!

Back
Top Bottom