My first tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueHeeler314

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I have the topfin 10 gal starter kit with a gravel substrate and an airstone. I just got it a little over a week ago. Currently it is stocked with 3 glofish and 2 zebra danios and... plastic plants.

I used prime in the water and let it run in the tank for 2 days before i added 2 zebra danios. After 3 days i was still showing 0 ammonia. I decided to add more fish because i thought maybe they didnt produce enough bioload. Now the reading for ammonia is a bit under .25 ppm. Still showing 0 nitrite and nitrate at the moment. ! have had the fish in for 9 days. I was reading articles about how to grow bacteria faster and from what i read the bacteria that uses ammonia reproduces fastest around 7.8-8.0 ph which is where my water is at. I also have my airstone on very high to keep the oxygen high, again because what i read about the bacteria is they thrive in o2 saturation of 80%+. But still no sign of nitrites which tells me there is no bacteria.

Well it sounds like you got into this with a good basic understanding of things, may o ask, are you using a strip test kit, or a liquid?

I also think that you (once your tank is cycled) could (and should) get some cories. IME they do just fine with a gravel substrate as long as its rounded and not jagged.

i figured corys would be too big for a 10 gal because you need a group. I was looking at the otocinclus because they only get 2 inches. I have been reading a lot of people like those corys a lot though. I guess I have plenty of time to consider what to get next. I also cant decide what fish i want as a single center piece. Is a 10 gal big enough for a male betta in a community tank? Not really sure what other fish would be good as the only of its species.

The only places i have around here that i know of to get fish are petco and petsmart. They just had cory and albino. I live in St. Louis, Mo. if anyone happens to know of a place. Kinda sucks not having many options.

Back
Top Bottom