Need Help, bought 2 goldfish without research

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mintos

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a standard 10 gallon and have two baby comets. I hear they will grow huge, need cold water, and I do not have the money to get a bigger tank, not even a 20 gallon. I was hoping to adopt them out to someone who can take better care of them. I live in South Louisiana. I am watching ammonia levels and doing half changes of water every day or every other day. I have a 60 gallon carbon filter that provides filtration and oxygen, but I cannot afford a bigger tank unless someone knows some cheap alternatives? My budget is basically under $20 unless its a very big size for a good price. What are some stores that may sell tanks at discounted prices? My eyes are open for local garage sales.

I believe comets are for ponds, or a really huge tank. Your not going to find any tanks big enough for $20, unless you come across someone on Craigslist, that is just giving it away..

I would recommend selling the comets back to the LFS for store credit and start all over again with fish more suitable for a 10 gallon.

Welcome to AA!

Unfortunately it is true that comets can grow up to 12". If left in a small tank, they will grow nowhere near that size as they will be stunted which is a very painful thing in which internal organs continue to grow while the skeletal and muscular system don't.

The best place to find cheap large fish tanks is craigslist. You can often find insane deals on used equipment.

I believe comets are for ponds, or a really huge tank. Your not going to find any tanks big enough for $20, unless you come across someone on Craigslist, that is just giving it away..

I would recommend selling the comets back to the LFS for store credit and start all over again with fish more suitable for a 10 gallon.

It's Petco. And in that case they'd just die faster as feeder fish.

Hello , im from South Louisiana also. I live in Lafayette. I do not have any tanks for goldfish or I would take them for you , you probably will not find a tank big enough for them on that budget but maybe a local LFS would take them back, the only problem would be that they will probably be resold as feeders. The local zoo over here has a big pond for koi and goldfish, maybe they will let you release them there, its the zoo of Acadiana. Also the baton rouge zoo has a pond like that too.

I found Louisiana's aquarium club and someone in NOLA offered to take them, but I need to see if a member in Lafayette is willing to drive them there on his next trip. I just posted it last night so there may be other adopters, if not I'll certainly ask Lafayette's Zoo since it's just an hour away. Thanks!

No problem , Im a member of the aquarium society, nice people , I joined just a few weeks ago . Where do you live? I might be going to Nola next weekend and I might be able to bring them down there for you.

No problem , Im a member of the aquarium society, nice people , I joined just a few weeks ago . Where do you live? I might be going to Nola next weekend and I might be able to bring them down there for you.

Jennings, but can easily get to Lafayette. EDIT: It's the Sourtheast Louisiana Aquarium Society, my post is under classifieds so you can see the guy's name who offered to take them.

Back
Top Bottom