New 55 gallon cichlid setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FredTK4367

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have set up a new 55 gallon cichlid tank and would like some advice on getting rid of some cloudiness in my tank. It has been set up for about 10 days. I still need to do a 10% water change and need advice concerning chlorine etc. I have left a clean 5 gallon of water overnight with conditioner in it and was wondering if that is the right way to do it. Thanks,Fred

Hi and Welcome....

Is your Tank cycled?

There are plenty of water clarifiers on the market but in this case I think you might want to identify what is causing the cloudiness. A lot of the members use Seachem Prime as their water conditioner. I just stick with all SeaChem Products to maintain consistency.

Do you have an API test kit? Please invest in one asap as well as a good water conditioner such as Prime. If your tank has only been setup for 10 days, it is not cycled. Please read the following link & roll up your sleeves because you have lots of water changes ahead of you until your tank is fully cycled. The cloudiness is likely a bacterial bloom (not the good kind) due to high levels of ammonia and/or nitrite. Water changes will reduce the toxin levels of these chemicals. Please ask if you have any questions!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Back
Top Bottom