New, and need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you all for all your advice and words of encouragement. I got my stand painted over the weekend. I am going with OCMINPIN on wednesday to get live sand, live rock and water to start the cycling process.

Thank you 54seaweed for finding the hex hoods for me. I am hoping the place I purchased the tank will replace the hood since he is very close to me and I will buy almost everything directly from him. I have not decided on what to do with my lights yet. Hopefully he can fix or replace my hood and I can just upgrade to better lights.

Elude 82 - I am not sure what type of substrate I am getting. I am going to talk to owner of the my local shop on wednesday. Any recommendations?

In one of my tanks I have the black Tahitian moon sand, the other I have the super fine Samoa sand. The black sand is something I did to be different. The fine sand is beautiful, but is a pain! It gets kicked up easily. I originally bought it for my pink spotted goby, to be easy on its stomach. I would recommend the pink Fiji. The bits of pinkish color is really nice, and adds a nice texture when lights hit it, especially the blue.

I agree with Khij159753's reply on searching Craigslist. My current tank was a KILLER deal. I won't go into too much length, but I will show you part of what I received from a Craigslist deal (Keep in mind, I received all of this for $40 locally!):

Top Fin Aquarium Starter Kit - 37 Gallon (Retails @ $134.99) {Click for details}
37 Gallon Aquarium » Top Fin® Aquarium Starter Kit | PetSmart
Ameriwood Durham 37-40 gallon Tank Stand (Retails @ $179.99)
Ameriwood Durham 37-40 gallon Tank Stand - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart
Top Fin Rock with Fungus Aquarium Ornament (Retails @ $34.99)
Top Fin® Rock with Fungus Aquarium Ornament - Specialty Pet Month - Directed Searches - PetSmart

So basically, I received $350 retail value for $40 on Craigslist! And yes, it's all still VERY new. Looks like they didn't have it more than 4 or 5 months and kept in VERY good shape during that time frame. I don't use the Ornament with it tho...it's just too big (imo) for a 37 gallon, for me anyhow. Would limit the amount of fish I could put in big time, but the point is, if you watch Craigslist, you could find a deal that will blow yer mind! :) Hope this reply helps.

welcome to AA
I feel your pain as I'm recovering from mantel cell lymphoma
I also don't have a immune system so I know how your feeling
fish are just so relaxing I'll try to do my homework cause I know I saw hex hoods somewhere and I"ll pass the link along as soon as I find it
if you want to talk tank or something just give me a shout
I'll keep you in my prayers

john

I am sorry about your condition and all that you had to go through and still going through. It is tough. I am so glad I got into this hobby to help relax and keep me occupied!

I ended up with the pink Fiji sand. It is very pretty! Thank you for the recommendation. So I have now 20 lbs of live sand which is about a 1.8'' sand bed. 12.5 lbs of live rock. I think I need more live rock, but it seems weird with a hex shape? :confused:I submitted a picture to show. Also, I got my water today, and did I underestimate how heavy 5 gallon jugs are.:eek: Then lifting it to an object higher than the tank to siphon water was a pain. It was a 2 hour process. I technically live on the first floor, but there are stairs because parking is on a lower level. I was drained by carrying 5 - 5gallon jugs. That is when having a disease that affects joints sucks.:banghead:

I am confused about one thing. My LFS told me that since his water is cured, and not making my own. Also, since I got live rock and lvie sand, the cycling process does not take as much time. It is better to wait to get the tank established, but it doesn't take too long. He said I could put in a hardy as soon as next week if the water tested fine. He services a lot of tanks in my area and gets high recommendations, is he right?

Another question since it is a hex tank, do I need one 550 powerhead or two? Another person recommended one 550 and one 150, would this work?

But, I am so excited right now. I found myself staring at the rock and water all night. I am trying to figure out how to arrange my rock right now, but I love it!:)

ocgirl said:
I ended up with the pink Fiji sand. It is very pretty! Thank you for the recommendation. So I have now 20 lbs of live sand which is about a 1.8'' sand bed. 12.5 lbs of live rock. I think I need more live rock, but it seems weird with a hex shape? :confused:I submitted a picture to show. Also, I got my water today, and did I underestimate how heavy 5 gallon jugs are.:eek: Then lifting it to an object higher than the tank to siphon water was a pain. It was a 2 hour process. I technically live on the first floor, but there are stairs because parking is on a lower level. I was drained by carrying 5 - 5gallon jugs. That is when having a disease that affects joints sucks.:banghead:

I am confused about one thing. My LFS told me that since his water is cured, and not making my own. Also, since I got live rock and lvie sand, the cycling process does not take as much time. It is better to wait to get the tank established, but it doesn't take too long. He said I could put in a hardy as soon as next week if the water tested fine. He services a lot of tanks in my area and gets high recommendations, is he right?

Another question since it is a hex tank, do I need one 550 powerhead or two? Another person recommended one 550 and one 150, would this work?

But, I am so excited right now. I found myself staring at the rock and water all night. I am trying to figure out how to arrange my rock right now, but I love it!:)

You'll still need to cycle the tank. Even putting in LR/LS without an ammonia source its going to read perfect 0-0-0. What you need to decide is fish in or fishless. I think what he is saying is to do fish in after waiting a week.

you'll only need one but imo with the tank you have I'd have to say 450-500 gph.

LAST QUESTION
I think it looks great!

You are welcome about recommending the pink Fiji sand. It's one of, if not the prettiest substrate. Sorry I haven't replied lately..... Work work work! Lol so how is everything coming along???? Any questions always feel free to ask!!!!!

Hi everyone! Well good news bad news. I haven't been on much as you can see because of my health has worsened. But, my mom had the our LFS come out and help with the tank set up. He even put a clown fish and a baby blue tang after the water tested ok. The fish have been in there for two days now and it is so much fun. But, I noticed the blue tang when the lights are out become active. But, I also noticed it would swim against the bottom on the sand a few times and against the glass? But, it doesn't do it a lot. Is this a sign of ich? I am trying to get a good picture or video to show. My clown seems very happy and sleeps in the sand bed. I read that is common. I am just worried about my tang?

Well... Your tank is way too small for a blue tang and blue tangs are known to get ich very easily. If I were you I'd get him out. You don't wanna introduce ich to your tank.

Having trouble trying to upload video. I know the tank is too small, but the LFS choose my fish when he came over and he said it could live a year in my tank before relocating to a bigger tank. I was in the hospital when the fish came, and arrived to fish in my tank. So, this is what he told my mom. So you would recommend removing the tang?

It doesn't look like odd behavior. Blue tangs have a tendency to keep a person on edge with their swimming behavior. Especially when the go to the sand bed and lay sideways mimicking a fish in distress. And at night time, watching your tank with the lights off can also worry a person, because fish behave differently, especially when they are sleeping. One question, how much flow is in the tank? Asking this because, in the one video, the tang looks like it moved swiftly with it actually trying. So you don't worry too much, research or watch videos of your fish and normal behavior. If I were you, and you will not regret it, try and get some inverts if you are able. I have inverts and love them more than the fish in the tank. My favorite is my pair of Skunk Cleaner Shrimp! Oh, and I always try and buy them in pairs. They behave and interact with one another. Other ones I have, and I have a bunch: Coral Banded Shrimp, and Camel Shrimp. Crabs( I don't pair up): Sponge Crab. And a fun sea star to get would be a Chocolate Chip Star. Post anytime you have a question, or just Pm me. Check it at least a few times a day. And I will give you my best opinion possible! :)

Back
Top Bottom