New girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krittergirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am a new aquarium owner- only 10 gal. To start- 2 wk old tank- lost a couple of fish- trying to get an understanding of the nitrogen cycle, new tank syndrome,etc.. Wondering if any of the many products to speed up this process work? I would like any good advice that I can get! Thanks

Krittergirl said:
Hi, I am a new aquarium owner- only 10 gal. To start- 2 wk old tank- lost a couple of fish- trying to get an understanding of the nitrogen cycle, new tank syndrome,etc.. Wondering if any of the many products to speed up this process work? I would like any good advice that I can get! Thanks

Welcome to AA sounds like you were doing a fish in cycle? You need to read up on fish in cycles. You have to perform many many water changes sometimes 2-3 a day! I did a fish in cycle on my 55 gallon. Test, water changes, test, test, more water changes.

Were you testing? Do you have a API master kit? Do you use a dechlorinator? There's really nothing to "speed" up the process other then getting some filter media from a heathy established tank and putting it in your filter and maybe get some decor.

Last edited:
Right now I have 2 platys and 1 female betta,the platys have been in tank since day 2. I am testing- ammonia is high, I used Colony bacteria supplement,I am changing 10-25% of water daily. I guess I need to just be patient for 4-6 weeks,is that about right? I have been reading,and talking to people,get conflicting info. Thanks for reply

Krittergirl said:
Right now I have 2 platys and 1 female betta,the platys have been in tank since day 2. I am testing- ammonia is high, I used Colony bacteria supplement,I am changing 10-25% of water daily. I guess I need to just be patient for 4-6 weeks,is that about right? I have been reading,and talking to people,get conflicting info. Thanks for reply

I would keep doing what your doing. Test test and test. Test for ammonia, nitrAtes, nitrites and your pH. Do your water changes often. Maybe 50% if your ammonia isn't dropping. Are you seeing nitrites at all? What type of filter are you running?

Water changes are the key and so is patience oh an are you using something like Prime or Amquel Plus? Something to treat your tap water when adding it to your tank?

I am using a conditioner on the tap water, I have ammonia and ph test kits,ph is high too. Do I need an additional kit to test nitrite/ nitrates? What's the max amount of water I should change at a time,without stressing the fish?

Krittergirl said:
I am using a conditioner on the tap water, I have ammonia and ph test kits,ph is high too. Do I need an additional kit to test nitrite/ nitrates? What's the max amount of water I should change at a time,without stressing the fish?

Read the above, check the link out it may help.

You can do 50% water changes if need be. Sometimes I've gone bigger of it calls for it. Yes you need different kits. You can get a API master test kit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000255NCI

Your fish won't mind the water changes actually they will come to like them. Mine love it! What's your pH? You can also test the pH in your tap to make sure it's not coming out high. Some people will have that issue. What should your pH be at? 7.2-7.6? Stability is key with pH, drastic swings in pH is what will stress the fish. A stable pH is best IMO.

Convict2161 said:
Read the above, check the link out it may help.

You can do 50% water changes if need be. Sometimes I've gone bigger of it calls for it. Yes you need different kits. You can get a API master test kit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000255NCI

Your fish won't mind the water changes actually they will come to like them. Mine love it! What's your pH? You can also test the pH in your tap to make sure it's not coming out high. Some people will have that issue. What should your pH be at? 7.2-7.6? Stability is key with pH, drastic swings in pH is what will stress the fish. A stable pH is best IMO.

My ph was off the chart-high end above 7.6 . Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom