New Member//20 Gallon Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tory

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So glad to have found this site! I am a twenty-three year old young man who has turned into a complete tropical fish enthusiast! I have been running my 20 gallon tank for nearly a year now and have been really enjoying it.

I have a traditional 20 gallon tank and would like to add some fish to the family. I currently have 1 young Bulldog/Rubbernose pleco, 1 adult female platy, and 3 two month old female platies. I do 25-50% water changes on a weekly basis. I run my tank at 79 degrees and add a tablespoon of aquarium salt every other water change.

I would like to add 2-3 balloon mollies and possibly a few swordtails to the family. My only concern is if these fish would all get along well with one another? I have read swordtails can be quite aggressive. Ideally, I would also like to have a male or two in the tank as well.

Would it be possible to add 3 balloons and 2 swords? I am extremely open to suggestions on any pairings of fish, I would just like to keep my tank as peaceful as possible.

Any advice/knowledge would be a great help! Thanks so much in advance! :cool:

just like bettas only one male swordtail should be in the tank at once and that swordtail will readily mate with your platies too

dont get balloon mollies,they are specifically bred for the screwed up-ness and commonly die when giving birth,they also have trouble swimming. if your going to get 2 swordtails,get both female,2 males may fight and a male and a femlae will end up with the male harrassing the female

I enjoy my balloon mollies. One in particular has a bunch of personality and I enjoy her very much. :)

When I had one male swordtail he wasn't very aggressive. Just very nippy.

But all should be compatible!

I enjoy my balloon mollies. One in particular has a bunch of personality and I enjoy her very much. :)

When I had one male swordtail he wasn't very aggressive. Just very nippy.

But all should be compatible!

So let's say I add 3 balloon mollies, 1 male 2 females, will the male molly get along with a male platy? (If I were to just get a male platy instead of a swordtail)

Does aquarium salt work okay for balloons?

Sorry for so many questions!

oh! forgot this in my original post,the min tank size for mollies is like 30 gallons

So let's say I add 3 balloon mollies, 1 male 2 females, will the male molly get along with a male platy? (If I were to just get a male platy instead of a swordtail)

Does aquarium salt work okay for balloons?

Sorry for so many questions!

I have balloon mollies with Red Platys and they work out fine. And aquarium salt is perfectly fine for them.

Back
Top Bottom