New member hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meesh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've kept a 20 gallon tank for about a dozen years with varying success. I didn't get too terribly serious and would sporadically lose fish to my periodic neglect.

After the tank, well, tanked, I did some actual research, found a quality store (Quantum Reef, Springfield, VA), and jumped up to a 55 gallon tank that I set up in a room where we spend most of our time, so I'll definitely keep it up better.

It's 30" wide, 18" front to back, and 25" top to bottom. It's going to be a planted tank and I have some small plants starting.

I have a canister pump, a Forza 7. Much better than the hang on back pump I had on the 20 gallon tank. So quiet!!

Last week I added the first fish, seven small Zebra Danios. This weekend I got a pretty Beta, he has a white body with red and blue fins. Very patriotic.

I have stone caves that allow easy rearranging into various configurations.

Over the years in my other tank I had a few fish I really liked a lot and hope to add to this tank. A Blue Eyed Lemon Bristlenose Pleco and two or three Clown Loaches.

I intend to clean out the old tank and set it back up to a Quarantine/Hospital tank. I want to get more serious and knowledgeable about the hobby.

Got a good quality test kit and my ammonia is starting to climb (0.50 today) so I did a 10% water change and from what I read, it seems like a good idea to do this daily or at least every other day while the tank is pretty new.

1477258289878.jpg1477258300958.jpg

Hi Welcome to AA

That sure is a nice 55 gallon tank. Sounds like you got it all under control; except for the ammonia issue. In my experience; don't do that frequent of water change; let the tank settle and beneficial bacteria to work.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I'll keep testing the water before doing a change, but I sure want to keep those dudes healthy! Luckily Danios and Betas are fairly hardy.

Back
Top Bottom