New Member here...and new tank owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManicPenguin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everybody. I decided I have lurked enough and decided to join the forum.

I am just getting (back) into fishkeeping after a long hiatus. I have a 1 year old son who loves watching fish so I decided to buy a used setup from craigslist. I was initially going to sterilize the whole setup and start from scratch, but once I saw the fish that came with the tank, I couldn't toss them. So now I have a bit of a problem

I bought a running setup from a college student who was moving. The setup is as follows:

20 Gallon tank w/stand
HOB filterpump
heater w/thermostat
aerator
gravel sub with big seashells and conch shells
2, Electric Yellow Cichlids
1, Suckermouth Catfish.

I just got the tank last night with the fish. I know there is WAY too much fish in the tank but I cannot afford a larger tank. The cichlids are 3-5" with one being larger than the other and the catfish has got to be close to 7-8". I would never have put this much fish in such a small tank, but it all came together.

The girl I bought the aquarium and fish from said she has had these fish for 3 years and the roommate she bought them from had these same fish for 5 years.

I don't want to kill these fish, but I don't really know what to do with them.

I heard once a few years ago that a fish will not out grow its tank...is this true? Do I (as i suspect) have way too much fish for my tank?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom