New member, new fishkeeper!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merkin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I everyone. My name is mark, and if bought my first fish tank.

It's been doing its cycle for a week already, and I recently added 2x dwarf Gouriamis and a ghost shrimp. *shudder* apologies to those who picked up on my spelling, haha.
It's a starter tank, at 20 litres... And already I'm wanting a bigger tank. I was told this would happen.

I just wanted to introduce myself, and it looking forward to hearing from you guys should there be any issues.

Have a good dinner!
Mark.

I everyone. My name is mark, and if bought my first fish tank.

It's been doing its cycle for a week already, and I recently added 2x dwarf Gouriamis and a ghost shrimp. *shudder* apologies to those who picked up on my spelling, haha.
It's a starter tank, at 20 litres... And already I'm wanting a bigger tank. I was told this would happen.

I just wanted to introduce myself, and it looking forward to hearing from you guys should there be any issues.

Have a good dinner!
Mark.

Congratulations on the new tank!!
I remember that day (one of the best days of my life)
A little information on the cycle
The cycle takes 4-8 weeks
When your ammonia slowly rise and then convert into nitrite and when the nitrite rises that converts to nitrate which goes away with water changes
So I hope your current fish are gonna make it
But since dwarf gouramis and the shrimp aren't the toughest fish I suggest finding them a temporary home or taking them back to the fish store,and doing a fish less cycle or getting a more hardy species if you can't wait and cycle the tank with those ( like a couple minnows).
But fish less cycle is preferred.
And if anybody else can add on to my answer or correct me if I'm wrong that would be great!

Like I said before congratulations on the tank and I hope you can get a bigger tank in the future as the bigger the tank is the more fun and the easier it is to take care of.
Good luck!!

Thanks for the reply.

I believe you're right in saying it takes 4 to 8 weeks for the cycle. The guy at the store told me to stay away from guppies for a new tank, and cycle the tank with fish in it to build up friendly bacteria. He suggested the dwarf Gouriamis as they're durable and should be able to stand it. (I preferred those fish to start with anyway).

I've only had them for say, a week now and they seem content. Should I have done a fish less cycle for 4 weeks with no fish? I just did one week.

Thanks!

Also I should be clear :
* I got the tank 2 weeks ago.
* I did a fish less cycle for one week (water went cloudy, and back to clear)
* I added fish a week later.

Thanks for the reply.

I believe you're right in saying it takes 4 to 8 weeks for the cycle. The guy at the store told me to stay away from guppies for a new tank, and cycle the tank with fish in it to build up friendly bacteria. He suggested the dwarf Gouriamis as they're durable and should be able to stand it. (I preferred those fish to start with anyway).

I've only had them for say, a week now and they seem content. Should I have done a fish less cycle for 4 weeks with no fish? I just did one week.

Thanks!

Yes it is better and easier to do a fish less cycle and less stressful and harmful for the fish because they don't have to experience the water fluctuations.
I would suggest doing some research on the fish less cycle (there is a great fish less cycle guide on here but I forgot what it is called).
It helped me on my first fish less cycle and is easy to follow.
It might take a little longer than four weeks but it is faster than a fish in cycle, and a lot less work.
Just make sure you spend the extra money on the API Freshwater master test kit. As it is the most accurate water tester IMO.
And keep an eye on those levels.
Good luck!

Also I should be clear :
* I got the tank 2 weeks ago.
* I did a fish less cycle for one week (water went cloudy, and back to clear)
* I added fish a week later.

How did you do the fish less cycle for the first week? Did you use some sort of source of ammonia like fish food or janitorial pure ammonia?
If you didn't then the first week was pointless if you didn't add a source of ammonia.

Hi, welcome in. A larger tank always the wish :)

Yes, totally agree a test kit on water specs is well worth it (the liquid based test is more accurate compared to strips). Two weeks (I think it was) is quite short.

Also this website http://www.aqadvisor.com/ will allow you to enter stocking levels with tank size and up to two filters. Gives a starting point anyways.

Smaller tanks cycle faster. That's my experience. Welcome aboard. Loads of people here will help you out. I joined up yesterday, it's been fun so far. I was like you, I got one tank, I had three a year later, then more! The reason I ended up with so many is because I made the classic rookie error of buying a bunch of fish without any real idea of what I was doing or how to keep fish, I just knew I wanted that one, and them, ooh and some of those and. . . . .
The best piece of advice I can give is check how BIG they get, of all my blunders that is probably the one that will cause you the most grief. Apart from that, have fun!

Hi, welcome in. A larger tank always the wish :)

Yes, totally agree a test kit on water specs is well worth it (the liquid based test is more accurate compared to strips). Two weeks (I think it was) is quite short.

Also this website AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor will allow you to enter stocking levels with tank size and up to two filters. Gives a starting point anyways.

+1 on this advice.

Wish I would have been given some when I started. :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom