Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

new tanker looking for any helpful advice

Hey guys new to the forum and to ra king all together...me and my wife and daughter have our first 10 gallon tank. We have a dalmation Mollie a mucky mouse Molly and a cerpaete5ra along with a nice little variety of live plants. Here because I'm new to this all and all ready for Amy helpful tips advice and thought. Thanks

Old 12-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

If you have male and female mollies they will breed like rats and will have 20 - 40 babies

Old 12-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Not sure if my Molly is male or female but at the moment it is just the one
Old 12-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did you get one of those siphon hoses with the gravel vac on it? They are a must. A couple of 5 gallon buckets from Lowes are nice to have too.

They eat the babies if you don't stop them from doing it so it's not a huge deal, but your daughter might get upset if she sees it. I got one of the in tank breeding boxes, and I save a few babies every once in a while. I explained to my daughter that sometimes we just let the others eat them, and that it's part of how they live.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #5

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

^Please read that. It's my biggest tip for you.

You'll need an API master liquid test kit. make sure you really read the instructions.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

^^Everything said there is completely correct, but don't let that scare you off from the forum. We can make what you've got work. It's just going to take a little work and love.

The API test kit is cool. You definitely want one. My daughter loves doing the water tests, and it's a great intro to chemistry. How old is your daughter if you don't mind me asking? Mine is 7. It took some practice, and a couple of broken test tubes, but she is an expert at this now.

Early on your going to have to change part of the water very often. It's not hard in a 10 gallon once you have that hose, and 2 clean buckets. Have you done a water change yet? How long has the tank been up? Once things get rolling you won't have to change the water as often. There is some pretty fierce debate about how often that is, but by that time you'll have you own opinions and test data to guide you.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oh yeah I just got done with my third water change and I have a water testing kit...my daughter is only two now so she isn't really at the helping stage yet....I mean everything I have read domes to be happening right in the tankand the fish I already have tanked have been just fine during the cyclying process minus the moly having a swim bladder issue...I just do.t have any help minus taking anything petsmart says and doing the opposite just nice to have a place to go for help
Old 12-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well you are cruising right along then, and I suspect you have good taste in booze

What nitrate reading are you getting? If it's coming out as zero all the time reread the directions. I mention this because I just realized this weekend that I've botched that test all along.

I also found that I got hooked quick when I started playing with this again. It didn't take me long to start getting more and bigger tanks. Craigslist is awesome and evil at the same time
Old 12-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah it is coming out at zero so I was hoping I'm doing it right...yeah its very addictive my unce has a 90 gallon I'm gonna take off his hands when he figures out what he is doing with his pacus
Old 12-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like your on the same track I was on just a few months ago.

If you reread the directions on the nitrate test you'll see that it says to shake bottle 2 hard for 30 seconds. If you don't the test will always come out as 0, and mislead you into thinking you're awesome.

I've got a 75G I need to pick up from a friend. I wasn't planning to do that till later, but I got some free fish that really need the space.

Tags
advice, new tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com