new to fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vallyice

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I don't really have an aquarium yet but I'm thinking about getting into it. Any advice?

Hey welcome to the forum. I would start with reading/learning all you can. AA is a great place to start.

Thanks but AA is for alcoholics I'm looking into fish. Ha just kidding

Welcome! I would suggest starting with freshwater fish. If you go to the Freshwater section of the AA site and visit the "Getting Started" fourm, you'll find some great information threads at the top of the forum marked "Sticky" that I would recommend you read! :)

The things to look out for an understand are the cycling of a new tank and the filtration. It is overwhelmingly complicated sounding when you first read it (unless you understand chemicals, the periodic table, etc) but it really isn't.

Basically it's important to understand that in a river the fish get fresh water at all times, in a tank they do not. You have to use a combination of good bacteria and water changes to give them 'fresh' water. You should try to establish the good bacteria (cycling) before adding any fish and then get a regular time when you can do water changes and gravel vacuuming every week or so. The getting started forum should help a lot as the person above said.

My advise is look at the fish you like, I bought my tank first and a lot of the fish I now like are too big and won't fit. Needless to say I got bigger:)

Thanks! K ill definitely pick my fish species before my tank

Back
Top Bottom