New to forums, and aquariums!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asnyds

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there!
I'm asnyds, and I'm new to both forums and aquariums.

I've never maintained an aquarium by myself and I've decided to start one, I'm getting either a 40, or 55 gallon tank in the next few days from my uncle.

I have a lot of ideas for my aquarium and have done good research on fish available in my area.

My community idea right now is as follows -

Von Rio flame tetra - 4

Black phantom tetra - 3

Two-three weeks later I'm going to add in

Either - 2 of the smaller growing pleco OR 2 dwarf Cory catfish.
Also at that time I'm going to add one golden dojo loach for show :)

Also I plan on themeing the tank to a fantasy type thing in the future. I'm starting it with black gravel and a mix of red and green faux plants, and then two or 3 big decorations I saw at a local store - a nice sized castle, and a large fanged skull. After that I may add 3-4 glo tetra and some neon gravel to highlight in the black gravel. Only doing that if I decide to get the light that makes the glo tetra and neons really pop.

Open to any and all suggestions!
Buying fish is only a few weeks away! :)

Asnyds

First of all, u need to do all the "new fish tank" cycles. Let the tank run ( fishless ) for a week or more. Test ur water every day and once the water levels r at normal range, then u can add fish. Do not add fish until u have finished the cycles.

If u want to get the cories or loach, I recommend getting sand instead of gravel. Gravel can and will scratch/cut the bottom of these bottom dwelling fish, causing infections and death. Gravel may work but u must make sure not to get any sharp gravel pieces.

I would only get 1 Pleco. However u can get two if the species can live together without aggressiveness when full grown.

Welcome!

Bristlenose Plecos are friendly to each other. They come in different kinds, like albino, brown, red, long fin, short fin and also some with blue eyes!

There are a few other that stay small I have heard but not had, so check out before taking my word on it, lol! Bulldog Pleco and Clown Pleco.

Welcome!

Bristlenose Plecos are friendly to each other. They come in different kinds, like albino, brown, red, long fin, short fin and also some with blue eyes!

There are a few other that stay small I have heard but not had, so check out before taking my word on it, lol! Bulldog Pleco and Clown Pleco.

Yup. I have heard that bristle nose plecos r friendly to each other and other fish. Clown plecos r another great choice as they only get 4" max

Thanks a ton! I looked through the things you mentioned (about plecos and fishless cycle)
I was already going to have a fishless cycle for 1-2 weeks as it was but I hadn't known about the ammonia>nitrite>nitrate bio filter.. I'm going out to buy the things I need tomorrow, after I get the tank.

By the way I found out which of the tanks he is giving me! A 45gallon corner tank and a stand!

Would it look bad if it isn't in a corner..? Hahah

Anyways, are there any suggestions on anything slightly showy that will do well in my community to replace the dojo loach?

Thanks!
Asnyds

Thanks a ton! I looked through the things you mentioned (about plecos and fishless cycle)
I was already going to have a fishless cycle for 1-2 weeks as it was but I hadn't known about the ammonia>nitrite>nitrate bio filter.. I'm going out to buy the things I need tomorrow, after I get the tank.

By the way I found out which of the tanks he is giving me! A 45gallon corner tank and a stand!

Would it look bad if it isn't in a corner..? Hahah

Anyways, are there any suggestions on anything slightly showy that will do well in my community to replace the dojo loach?

Thanks!
Asnyds

Do u want another loach, fish, or decor that looks showy?

A fish or a loach, it doesn't matter as long as it will be friendly with the tetras..

Are there any frogs/crustaceans that could be in with them perhaps?

Really anything! I have tons of time to change the stocking plan right now, any ideas are welcome!
You could even give me a whole new plan if you'd like to put one out for me :)

I'm getting a 45gallon corner, and have made a budget of 40$ for my fish. Plants/decor will come with the tank, going to choose what I want and then clean them (properly). But I am buying new substrate for sure.

A fishless cycle may take much longer than 1-2 weeks, if your uncle has an established tank, you could get some of his filter media or gravel to kick start you beneficial bacteria.
I initially tried a fishless cycle, but after 6 weeks I grew impatient and am now doing a fish-in cycle.

I was told today at my lfs that I could do a fish in cycle using some cheap goldfish to get the tank to proper levels, and then just put them in my pond when I'm ready to move the new fish in..
Is this true? And is there any links to ways to do the fish in cycle?
Does it make a difference if use goldfish?

Also there is a supposed 3-day fishless cycle formula available at my lfs for 17$..
Its called ultrafin cycle.

Just trying to make sure everything is done right! Thanks for all the help so far!

I tried the cycle in a bottle, it did not work for me.

Not sure about the goldfish, I know they are hardy though,

A fish or a loach, it doesn't matter as long as it will be friendly with the tetras..

Are there any frogs/crustaceans that could be in with them perhaps?

Really anything! I have tons of time to change the stocking plan right now, any ideas are welcome!
You could even give me a whole new plan if you'd like to put one out for me :)

I'm getting a 45gallon corner, and have made a budget of 40$ for my fish. Plants/decor will come with the tank, going to choose what I want and then clean them (properly). But I am buying new substrate for sure.

Most crustaceans are semi-aggressive so I wouldn't get any in the community tank. Some kuhli loaches would be cool ( if u get sand substrate ) .

List of fish that I think r a little showy and good for a community tank:
Cherry barbs
Neon/cardinal tetras
Gold dust mollies
Silver mollies
Black kuhli/coolie loach
Red wag platy
Hi fin platy
Black skirt tetras ( black skirt turns grayer the older they get )
Mystery snails
Clown loach ( may get too big for ur tank )
Cory catfish

Everyone tends to think crustacean a are unfriendly to fish.. I have a blue crayfish in with ghost shrimp and rasbora's and he's hasn't been an issue at all. Occasionally herds away the shrimp but pays no mind at all to the fish.

Everyone tends to think crustacean a are unfriendly to fish.. I have a blue crayfish in with ghost shrimp and rasbora's and he's hasn't been an issue at all. Occasionally herds away the shrimp but pays no mind at all to the fish.

A full sized crayfish can, and will eat, kill, maim, if it feels like it and it is a fact, you shouldn't have any expensive, prized, or very much loved 1-2", maybe even 3" fish. He could get bored or hungry, you just can't be safe with them. Though I gave may friend a Blue cray for her birthday and he had his corner and didn't ever seem to bother anyone for the years of his life. :)

Just don't want anyone to bring one home and end up with a massacre! They can have different personalities like people do, and snap, like people do.:eek:

Hi and welcome! I am also fairly new to the hobby and to the forum. You will find tons of great information here, so have fun researching!
Candace

Back
Top Bottom