new with problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodylee3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i got a 14 gal fw tank and i got a head of my tank and added a bunch of fish at about my 3 week mark. Now im down to 5 fish and nitrite levels are high for about a month now my two plants are turning brown, i do water changes everyday sometimes twice in small amounts. can someone please get me through this

:welcome: to AA! :)
i got a 14 gal fw tank and i got a head of my tank and added a bunch of fish at about my 3 week mark.
That's not good...did you at least try to cycle during the three weeks? How did you cycle the tank? Now im down to 5 fish and nitrite levels are high for about a month now
Do you do PWCs to try to get the nitrites down? Are you doing a fish-in cycle? How high are the nitrites getting? my two plants are turning brown
What kind of plants? What is the lighting? ,
i do water changes everyday sometimes twice in small amounts
What kind of fish are they? Do you change the filters too?. can someone please get me through this

Questions above in the bold underlined red. Hope that helped!

Edit: these should help you out:
1.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
2.http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

nitrites are .1 to .2 i have the test strips and nitrate isnt even present. see i set up the tank and waited a week and added 2 guppies and let it be and added some mollies and coy cats and tetras 3 weeks and 4 weeks later and now im left with 2 mollies and 2 coy cats and a tetra then they started to die so i vaccumed the tank bought the testers and started to do water changes when i saw the level was high, i changed the filter at the month mark. i bought the live bacteria and added a lil bit everyday when i did the water change. im out of that stuff now. as for the plants i have a fern and some other plant with long and fat leaves with a light green center.

woodylee3 said:
nitrites are .1 to .2 i have the test strips and nitrate isnt even present. see i set up the tank and waited a week and added 2 guppies and let it be and added some mollies and coy cats and tetras 3 weeks and 4 weeks later and now im left with 2 mollies and 2 coy cats and a tetra then they started to die so i vaccumed the tank bought the testers and started to do water changes when i saw the level was high, i changed the filter at the month mark. i bought the live bacteria and added a lil bit everyday when i did the water change. im out of that stuff now. as for the plants i have a fern and some other plant with long and fat leaves with a light green center.

Welcome!
The links above will explain what needs to be done. Don't change your filter media out. by doing that you are throwing out all the bacteria. Instead, when they are dirty, swish them in a bucket of tank water. Never rinse them under the tap because the chlorine in the water will kill them.

Back
Top Bottom