Newbie here!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cubswin17

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone! Somewhat new to the hobbie, I've had a couple of tanks in the past but was never any good at them. I love the hobby so much I had to try again. I'm starting small this time (30 gallon). I have pretty cheap set up for now, My wife and I have a baby on the way so I need to watch what I spend. I consider myself a newbie due to the fact that I feel like I don't have a clue. I'm doing what my LFS (I hope Im using that correctly and it means "live fish store"' LOL) guy is telling me to do. Looking forward to learning a lot!!

Hey everyone! Somewhat new to the hobbie, I've had a couple of tanks in the past but was never any good at them. I love the hobby so much I had to try again. I'm starting small this time (30 gallon). I have pretty cheap set up for now, My wife and I have a baby on the way so I need to watch what I spend. I consider myself a newbie due to the fact that I feel like I don't have a clue. I'm doing what my LFS (I hope Im using that correctly and it means "live fish store"' LOL) guy is telling me to do. Looking forward to learning a lot!!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! You were so close!! It's Local Fish Store LOL.:)

I knew I was wrong!! Now that I think about it, I would hope that the fish at the store were "live"!! If not they probably wouldn't be in business, LOL! Thanks for setting me straight and the welcome!

Welcome! This forum is very helpful and im glad you found us. I would do my own research b4 I made any final decisions, I've heard of people getting crazy advice from the guys at the LFS. Any questions you have feel free to ask the people here will answer you pretty quickly. What are your plans for the 30? Is it cycled?

agwats said:
Welcome! This forum is very helpful and im glad you found us. I would do my own research b4 I made any final decisions, I've heard of people getting crazy advice from the guys at the LFS. Any questions you have feel free to ask the people here will answer you pretty quickly. What are your plans for the 30? Is it cycled?

Thanks for the welcome! Good advice on doing my own research, I'm afraid I may have already taken some bad advice. My tank isn't fully cycled yet. The LFS guy told me to use Nitromax Marine, which I have for about a week now (which is how old my tank is). I went to visit him today, he tested my water (i havent had an ammonia spike yet) and suggested I get a couple of small clowns. I'm afraid that the tank may not be cycled to the point of keeping the clowns healthy and alive. Any thoughts on that?? He said that they are hardy and can help to cycle the tank. I have about 20 lbs of live rock and live sand in the tank as well. I have three very small hermit crabs in the tank that have been there for about a week. I also now have what I think may be a small black brittle starfish that hitchhiked in on some live rock that I bought today. Did I make a mistake with the clowns???

The clowns will probably survive but I wouldn't say that using them to cycle the tank is particularly kind to the fish...
If that's the worst advise you get you're doing pretty good. Some LFS will sell you anything regardless of weather or not it will kill or be killed or if it will even fit in your tank. I've heard of several people being told common plecos will be fine in a 10 or 20 gal tank! That's a 12+ inch fish!

agwats said:
The clowns will probably survive but I wouldn't say that using them to cycle the tank is particularly kind to the fish...
If that's the worst advise you get you're doing pretty good. Some LFS will sell you anything regardless of weather or not it will kill or be killed or if it will even fit in your tank. I've heard of several people being told common plecos will be fine in a 10 or 20 gal tank! That's a 12+ inch fish!

I'm glad to hear that wasn't terrible advice, although maybe not the best advice. I'm feeling pretty guilty about putting the fish through that. After he tested my water and suggested it I just went with it since he knows more than I do. After I got home and acclimated the clowns I started to think about it and was afraid I had made a huge mistake. Still feeling guilty, but it's good to know they should be fine. Thank you for the help!!!!

Cubswin17 said:

I am pretty new too and you know what they say if at first you don't succeed try try again this is very important doing fish tanks hope the new tank goes well

Back
Top Bottom