Newby begginer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lincolnsdad01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone my name is Jesse I have a 55gal set up with a fluval 306 filter have a bubbling volcano a lighted bubble wand. 3 juli corys 1 rainbow 4platys various and trying 4 angels but I started out with 6 but 2 died within 24 hrs. I am very new to this hobby and really like it but has been very challenging and a big learning experience any help will be a big help.

First and most important question:

Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is and how it takes places in aquariums?

Caleb

First and most important question:

Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is and how it takes places in aquariums?

Caleb

Yes I do I have read up on it wishing I started out with more of a fish less cycle but kind of did. I set it up with no fish had everything up and running for 3 days and added fluval bottle bacteria had that running for 3 days before I added any fish.

Yes I do I have read up on it wishing I started out with more of a fish less cycle but kind of did. I set it up with no fish had everything up and running for 3 days and added fluval bottle bacteria had that running for 3 days before I added any fish.

Chances are it still hasn't finished. A water test would confirm.

Get yourself a liquid test kit. It will become your best friend in times of sickness, or mysterious deaths like this. It also lets you know exactly what's in the water. Oh and test strips are junk.

Caleb

Chances are it still hasn't finished. A water test would confirm.

Get yourself a liquid test kit. It will become your best friend in times of sickness, or mysterious deaths like this. It also lets you know exactly what's in the water. Oh and test strips are junk.

Caleb[/QUOTE

I have an api liquid test kit. I have been testing it every other day and here are my reading

Ph 8.2
Amonia between 0 and 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 0 and 5 ppm

Today I just did a 20% water change with 1/2 treated tap water and 1/2 RO water but haven't tested it yet.

Also I set this up 3.5 weeks ago. The test results were from earlier today before the water change

Maybe it has finished cycling? I'm just a major critic of bacterial bottles :)

Did the fish show any external symptoms?

Caleb

Maybe it has finished cycling? I'm just a major critic of bacterial bottles :)

Did the fish show any external symptoms?

Caleb
I got them from the LFS they had just came in that day still in the bag all day and I brought them home which was over an he drive. One of them I didn't think would make it after I acclimated them. It was just sit on the bottom where the others were swimming all around so within 24hr I lost 2 and now I have 3 that seem to be swimming and eating just fine but one that isn't doing good and I think I will Loose him by morning. I did a 20% water change today and added prime. Like I said those where the numbers before the water change are they acceptable? I know my Ph is high but that's why I am trying a little RO water but what about my amonia?

Back
Top Bottom