Setting Up 29 FW NPT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJax

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
I am currently setting up a new 29 gallon Betta Sorority tank. I want to add a shoal of cories (love their antics), maybe another active fish... haven't decided yet. I plan on have all planted natural plants in soil (I just bought some soil specifically for organic aquatics (by Epsoma). Nothing in the soil floats- sounded good to me!
This tank is a set by Aqueon. It comes with a heater, but I have 2 questions..

Should I buy a 2nd heater & have one at one end and the other in the opposite side? It seems more asthetically pleasing to have them in the far corners, (instead of dead-center in the back) and have less stress on one unit...?

What is the purpose of a bubble stone/bubble ornament? Bettas like their tanks quiet, but I was thinking of adding a small bubble curtain, again, not dead-center, but off to a side to create a interest- but are the beneficial to have??

Thanks!
:wave:

Airstones are quieter ways of introducing air, and diffuse the bubbles (making them smaller and more effective than large single bubbles that other ornaments like scuba divers and clams provide). This aerates the water and puts oxygen back in the water. If you're doing live plants, this would mostly be decorative. Bettas can breathe on the surface anyway, so it's doubly redundant, and probably more irritating than beneficial to them.

Also, one heater is generally enough for tanks under fifty gallons. I'd suggest buying a thermometer and placing it in the front of the tank on the opposite side of the tank from the heater (I agree about the aesthetics), and monitor it that way.

Thank you both.
I bought a fake aquarium plant, long, thin and colored black to position in front of the heater to hide it as much as possible. If a leaf of a real plant touches the heater, it dies, I discovered! Judicious use of plastic has it's place in a planted aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom