Starting a tank up again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gothamz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just recently decided to get back into this hobby. I've been away from it for about 10 years but am looking forward to getting back into it. I have a 10 gal tank and now have 5 small tiger barbs. I've done my research on them, but does anyone have any I should look out for? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to AA! Keep an eye on your water parameters until your tank is cycled, and your fish will be healthy and happy!

What should I watch for most in the water? The ph? When I was younger I was never too concerned about that but I want to do it right this time. Thanks again.

Also, I am thinking about getting a red tailed shark and a dojo loach. I know that barbs in general can tend to be aggressive, but these two new additions should not be a problem correct?

You will find that most fish (though not all) will adjust to pH as long as it is consistent. Tiger barbs, when kept in a school, do well and are fascinating to watch. However, if kept singly, the are notorious fin nippers.

Make sure that your ammonia and nitrites stay at zero, and keep an eye on your nitrates. Regular water changes, along with responsible feeding, will go a long way toward keeping your water healthy.

Greetings and salutations!

I would caution you about buying a redtail shark (E. bicolor) unless you plan on moving it to a larger tank later. They will grow to 4-5 inches, and need a lot of swimming room. I think 40-50 gallons is recommended as the minimum tank size. That being said, if you will be getting a larger tank I would highly recommend adding one (and only one - they don't get along with each other). They're pretty good at taking care of themselves, and should be just fine with your barbs. I adore my redtail.

Back
Top Bottom