Stocking a 54 gal corner bow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua Chris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After much time and research, i have come to the decision to start my new hobby with this tank for following 2 reasons: 1) variety - can't put a lot of fish in a smaller tank 2) larger tanks appear to require less work to maintain. My inspiration to start was regular visits with my to see an armoured bichir. This is my starting piece and i would appreciate some feedback from experienced aquarists on the proposed inhabitants of my planted freshwater tank

POLYPTERUS DELHEZI (BICHIR) 14" - known escape artist
AFRICAN BUTTERFLYFISH 4" X 2 = 8" - tank jumper
TIGER BARBS 3" X 7 = 21" - because 5 is too few and evens will cannibalize
RAPHAEL CAT 6" - to eat leftovers
REGULAR BANDED PECKOLTIA 4" x 2 = 8" - to take care of the algae
TOTAL = 57" of fish in 54 gal tank

I have an eheim 2215 filter and a fluval air pump and i have access to an aqua clear filter, but do not have plans to use a second filter. With weekly 10-15% water changes and vaccuuming, is the tank stocked reasonably and will these fish co-exist? My goal is a harmonious semi-agressive tank. Pictures will follow as i start to build my tank.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

The inch per gal rule allows you to put a pair of three inch oscars and a four inch common pleco in a ten gal. It doesn't work. As for even numbers of tiger barbs killing each other, that's not true either. The stock looks like it will be fine, but I would add three more tiger barbs. I would also nix a butterfly fish

Why three more Tigers?

thanks for your reply. I am OK with nixing one of the butterflies, but would it not be better to pick up a new species for more variety? Or is this a case of less is more?

Aqua Chris said:
thanks for your reply. I am OK with nixing one of the butterflies, but would it not be better to pick up a new species for more variety? Or is this a case of less is more?

More tigers would keep them from harassing other fish

Adding a shark???

I would like to add a shark to this tank. Would a red tail black shark be too small for the bichir? The rainbow shark may be a good swap for one of the 2 butterfly size wise. Could i add a shark or will this stress my other fish with their agression? Can i still add more tiger barbs?

Back
Top Bottom