10g planted tank lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marvelous

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I want to turn my 10g into a planted aquarium. I bought some of those top fin bulbs from petco and would like to get them to grow. I need to know what a good hood light would be for a 10g? I have seen the one they sell at walmart for about 20$, Im not sure on the watts but I believe that it is 1 watt of light per gallon of water? Correct me if im wrong. So as long as its at least 10 watts woluld that work?

Thanks
Marv

hello Marvelous and Welcome to AA!

Just a quick piece of advice for you to consider is purchasing a Glass Top instead of a Regular Aquarium Hood because a Glass Top would allow you more lighting options.

glass top

Thank you thats a great idea, i think that will be easiest for me.
Marv

For a small tank, the watts per gal rule don't work. You need more wpg to get to an equivalent light level compared to a large tank.

1 wpg over a 10 gal will not be too great for plants. Depending on the light (some are more efficient than others), 2-3 wpg is what you should be aiming for (A high light tank will have 5-6 wpg). <I used to have a 33W T12 fluorescent over a 10, and that is only low to med level.>

A glass top will definitely give you the most options. You can hang fixtures from the ceiling, or attach them to the rim with legs. And you are not tied to any aquarium fixture, as an ordinary fixture (with the right spectrum bulb) will work as well.

watt per gallon

Oh really, well I didnt know that either. Im going to try to get a glass top today if the roads arent too bad. We just had an ice storm last night so idk, but ill definetly have one before the weekend is out. Thanks to both of you.

Marv

Back
Top Bottom