10W 50/50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10G sitting around, so being the typical SW addict, I set it up using all the 'left overs' from my 75g AND 29g endeavors. I have som rubble in there thats been in a bucket for who knows how long about 5lbs live sand (left over from 29G setup) and a Aqua clear hob filter. The setup Im not sweating, its just a..well, Im not sure what kind of tank it will be yet..But I used one of those 50/50 10w (equals 50w according to the box) screw in type bulbs. Its a 10K and 03 bulb. The sell them at PetCo. Im gonna add another, but the question..Any1 use these bulbs? They last about 6 months, longer, shorter..Anyone thats used them or read up on them, I appreciate the feedback..
Thanks!

I haven't used those bulbs, but, the wattage rating on the bulb is a comparison to standard lighting. So, as far as CF is concerned, you have only 10watts CF. You'll need more light for corals, but if it's FO, you might be ok.

No, this will in fact hold some corals. I have read up a little on other peoples 10 12 and 5 gallon nanos. Seems like I'll have to invest in a retro kit at some point. For now, Im just 'cycling' the tank. Its good to know though, since I probably would have taken the box as meaning 50w..

Thanks

I use them in my nano and to light my fuge :)

I use a 20 watt 50/50 for my 2 gal nano. You can buy the 20 watt version at big als. You can also buy a 20 watt 6500k screw in CF bulb at Walmart or Home Depot(HD one is actually a 19 watt bulb). Might be ok mixed with a 50/50.

Not sure on longevity. The one on my 2 gal is older than 6 months though. I only keep GSP, shrooms and anthelia in it though.

I spoke with a lfs. Its hit or miss with these guys, but I had suggested buying a 20" 96W. He said "Don't do it". I figured the more light the better cause Im going clams, SPS, etc, in this thing. He brought up the fact that the 10G was 20" long but only 16" depth. Penetration being the key. He actually suggested using a 55 or 65W pc 50/50 at most. I have a pair of 10W 50/50 in there now and its actually pretty good. I could see a clam at the top..dunno. I am curing some new lr in there as well, so as of right now, its an ammonia pit. Plenty of time to review my options. I will say that even with that low of lighting them temp in there is 84 steady. May have to try a little clip on fan. Dunno, but if its 84 in there now, adding any more light will certainly make keeping it stable much more a challange..

I ran a 2x32 watt set up on my 10 gal. It was a lot of light. I had problems with some softies because I think it was too much. I built the kit for around $50 :) and made a custom canopy.

A 55 watt PC bulb is too wide I believe. A 150 MH would work too 8O

I have seen the Coralife clip on MH. They have a 70W MH as well. The heat would probably overwhelm the tank. I think for now anyway, Im going to stick with the self ballasted 10w x 2. The 'average 4w/g' I think may be out the window here since the volume and tank depth is so low. If need be, I suppose I could take the top off and get a 1 x 23w, though for the money, the 2 x 10w seems to be pretty much the same. I'll post some pics if I can free up some space on this server.

Back
Top Bottom