150w HQI Ballasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey Alll,

One of my Coralife ballasts is bussing/humming to a point of being obnoxious.

I assume there is no way to repair these ballasts?

In looking for a new ballast, I found these 2:

1. 150/175 watt Single Electronic Ballast- Coralvue
2. ARO Electronic Ballast-150/175W MH
3. http://www.hellolights.com/luxcore-selectable-250w.aspx

The 1'st one looks very similar to my origional magnetic ballast, the 2nd one looks alot more compact. Not sure why the drastic size difference? I know the meganetic ones are typically larger, but the electronic ballasts are usually smaller. The 3rd is nice because it is selectable between 150w/250w.

Anyway, I know someone on here before said a megnetic ballast will drive the bulbs better? While I don't really understand that, I really would rather not go with a megnetic ballast for several reasons, Heat, noise/buzz are the primary reasons.

Can anyone suggest one of the above ballasts and/or another one for replacing my OEM ballasts?

Also If I were to get the 3rd one that's selectable, what would it take to change to 250w HQI's? Just change the bulb, or do I have to change wireing/sockets?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Last edited:
I would go with the 3rd one just due to the fact you have the option to upgrade if you want. Going from a 150w DE bulb to a 250w DE bulb you would need to change the bulb socket. They are different sizes.

I would go with the 3rd one just due to the fact you have the option to upgrade if you want. Going from a 150w DE bulb to a 250w DE bulb you would need to change the bulb socket. They are different sizes.

Yeah that was kind of my thought too, but then I decided that by the time i would upgrade to 250w HQI's It'll probably be time to upgrade to LED's. I have a feeling 2014 is going to be the year of LED's!

Anyway, I ended up going with the Coralvue ballast due to it's brand/name and the fact that it looks like it would dissapate heat better than the ARO.

Thanks,

-TheChad

Well I ordered the 150w CoralVue ballast and got a call today, they said the 150w ballast was discontinued and replaced by the 150w/250w selectable ballast! (I guess that Lux Core is made by CoralVue)

So Now I'm getting the 150w/250w selectable for the same price!

-TheChad

Wow, got the new ballast's installed, what a difference, the bulbs start up MUCH faster, after running all day the ballasts are just bairly warm (Instead of too hot to touch) and NO MORE BUZZING!

These ballasts are very nice!

I went ahead and ran 16 gauge wire up to the HQI Sockets from the ballast's cord (16 Gauge is what the ballast's cord is, 18 gauge is what the factory wiring was), So now I'm all set when I'm ready to upgrade to 250w HQI's, just have to buy sockets and bulbs.

-TheChad

Back
Top Bottom