Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2005, 10:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

2 external pumps on my 125- please critique!

Hi everyone, thanks for all the help thus far, I am on the last stretch now and will hopefully have things up and running in Oct.
I am quickly approaching the plumbing of my tank but before I get to that I am trying to figure out the best setup for my sump. I am pretty sure that I am going to opt for external pumps (maybe Iwakis, or gen-x). Here is where I am getting confused...

Sorry to ask this question again but how much flow do I want in a tank this size if I'm going to do a reef? I've been getting conflicting answers: 4-5 times/hour, up to 10 times/hour, I can have too much flow, I can't have too much flow. Please tell me what the "rule" is on reef tanks.

As I said, I am planning on going with external pumps. If I was to take my desired flow rate and split it in two, I could get two smaller pumps (less noise, right?) have each one go to a return and maybe split them there in which case I would have 4 jets of water returning into my tank. Would this be an effective way to create circulation without having to use in tank powerheads?

Lastly, any suggestions on specific pumps?

Please offer any feedback that you have on this idea. Thanks!!!

Old 09-28-2005, 07:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do not have a external pump so I have no answers on that part. My tank is drilled in both upper corners with 2- 1" bulk heads that go to the sump. I run a Sen 900 for the return. My goal was to have a tank with no power heads in it so I have 2 hang on the back return lines from the Sen 900. Americal makes a nice return hook that hangs on the tank. I have one in each corner of the tank and I get great flow in the whole tank. Some areas have less flow then others which is fine.
If your going with hard corals you will want to have close to 10 X if your going with soft and LPS you can run less.
I have friends who us the Iwakis and they love them. They say the japanese version is quieter then the US made one or is it the other way???
He also uses the blue line for his closed loop and he loves that one also..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

For a reef with corals you need 15 to 20 times your total gallons. I run two Iwaki 90rtl pumps and a big dolphin do not remember the model number but it is around 8000 GPH. I recommend both of these pumps. Why not run a Iwaki as a return from your sump and a dolphin as a closed loop. That is what I did and I am very happy. The Iwaki is a high pressure pump and can handle the head pressure easy. I turn my return pump off when I feed so food does not end up in the sump. I still have plenty of flow with the closed loop. This has worked good for me. HTH
Old 09-28-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

brenden let me know if this is correct, a closed loop removes water from the tank puts it through a pump and puts it right back in, correct? Also if i was to go with 18 times my total gallons that would be 2250 g/hr., my tank being an all glass with dual overflow is rated at 600g/hr (I think). How am i going to pull this off? If I don't want to drill my tank for a closed loop (i will right?) can i just use one tank per return? At approximately 1000 g/hr each, will they make a lot of noise? Thanks!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plumb both overflows into your sump. Put a 600 gph external pump next to the sump the return the water. Buy a external pump rated at around 1800 gph for the closed loop. Your tank should not have to be drilled for a closed loop and yes a closed loop just takes water out of your tank and returns it. It eliminates powerheads and tank clutter. Do not necessarily associate pump size with noise, head pressure is the biggest cause of noise in a pump. Also it is good advise to invest in some locline for your closed loop. Feel free to send me a private message if you want more info.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You can open up the teeth on the overflow to increase flow a bit and you can use both holes in the overflows as drains to get more flow. There are things you can do to get more flow. You could probably get 1000-1200+ gph at each overflow with these mods. At least is what people report...

With a tank that is not drilled in the back, it is a bit tougher to set up a closed loop. I have not done it so I can't say too much on that. I run 3 PH's for close to 1200 gph since I don't have a closed loop. Some Tunze Streams or maybe some large SEIO pump would give you some turnover without setting up a closed loop. Without having a more holes drilled it makes it tough to get away from PH's.

HTH
Old 09-29-2005, 12:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

would it be possible (and advisable) to run one of my overflows to the sump and set the other overflow up to be a closed loop?
Old 10-02-2005, 04:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
just ran accross a intresting thread.. thought I would share..
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1
Old 10-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey thanks for that link! I think that guy has got a very valid point. I think I'll stick to a smaller in sump pump and get the major flow from an inline setup. Thanks again green!
Old 10-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

what exactly is a sequence pump?

Tags
125 gallon, external, pumps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com